"When a man tires of London, he is tired of life" London by Dabs
London Travel Guide: 23,476 reviews and 49,424 photos
I've made two trips to London in 2013, my most recent trip was just a brief stop so that Mr. Dabs could swim in Bray Lake near Maidenhead but we managed to get in all of our favorite foods-fish and chips, chicken shawarma, Indian food and a good English breakfast-and visit a couple of new museums, the Museum of Brands and Packaging and the Old Operating Theatre.
I was also in London in May/June 2013 with another niece that I took to Europe for her 1st overseas trip. We stayed in Westminster at the London Marriott County Hall for 3 nights, traveled to Paris by Eurostar for 6 nights and then back to London for 2 nights, staying in the east end at the Ibis City Hotel. I managed to sneak one new thing in, Leighton House, and revisited some of my favorite spots-Camden, Portobello Road, the Tower of London-and met up with some lovely local ladies, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley (Roam) and Marion (mazzap) for dinner.
Well, it's partly the fact that we accumulate miles on British Airways, many of our trips have been stopovers on the way to somewhere else in Europe and London is a free add on. Partly it's because there's no language barrier, museums, theater, transportation, menus are all in English.
But it's certainly more than that, London is truly my favorite city in the world, a place that I will never tire of. London was my destination on my first trip outside of North America and has been luring me back ever since, always with the promise of a new secret place to discover or a favorite to revisit. Plus I've met some of the loveliest people in London, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley(Roam), Marion (mazzap), Fergy (planxty), Jen (Jenniflower) and Jo (jo104) have been lovely enough to arrange several VT meetings and outings on my various visits!
September 2013-a brief stop for another swim, this time in Bray Lake
May-June 2013-another trip combined with Paris for another niece's 1st trip to Europe
July 2012-5 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise to Norway
July 2011-a trip combined with Paris, my niece's 1st trip to Europe
June 2011-a couple of days tacked onto our visit to Macedonia
April/May 2011-a week visit for the royal wedding of William & Kate
September 2010-5 days after visiting Ireland for Jo's Treasure Hunt and Open House weekend
May 2009-stop on the way back from Ukraine
July/August 2008-accompanied by husband, niece, nephew and sister in law
January 2008-2nd visit with Kat (keida84)
May 2007-stop on the way to Venice and Slovenia
January 2006-big VT meeting in London in honor of Kat's 1st visit-see photos from the big meeting over on myGreater London page,
August 2005-stop on the way back from Budapest with hubby
August 2004-1/2 solo, 1/2 with hubby
May 2003-stop on our trip to Poland
July 2002-combined with a trip to Iceland
September 2000-stop on our way to France and Belgium
September 1999-combined with trip to Paris and Loire Valley
March 1995-visit with my husband
February 1988-solo trip, my very 1st trip overseas
Surely with the dismal exchange rate, some North American travelers may be scared off traveling to London. But with a little research there are all kinds of ways to save some money without compromising on the quality of the visit.
London has loads of terrific museums whether you are interested in art, science, or history and they are almost all free.
If you are traveling with a group of 2 people or more, there are all kinds of discounts at the castles, at many of the other attractions or on dining, the best offers are the 2 for 1 offers valid if you have a paper travelcard. If you are traveling with 3 or more people, there are some groupd discounts for train travel outside of London.
Priceline is the only way I book hotels in London, I get 4* hotels for a lot less than booking direct, my most recent stay was $90US + tax for a 5* Marriott!
Theater tickets can be purchased even cheaper than you would find in NYC or Chicago at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and usually with great seats.
London is a melting pot of different ethnic groups and you can find almost any type of food in London, most of the ethnic food is quite reasonably priced and available all over London. Most of our meals were under £10 or less per person, many of our lunches were under £5 per person.
And finally, some vouchers for restaurants, shopping, attractions and more
- Pros:Wonderful history, architecture, and I can read the signs at the museums!
- Cons:20 trips and there are still places left to visit!
- In a nutshell:How can someone not love London????
I thought about putting this review in Slough but I doubt that anyone would ever see it as who the heck wants to stay in... more travel advice
Tune Hotels are a newer addition to the London hotel market, most of their hotels seem to be in Asia. It appears that... more travel advice
- See All Itinerary for a 1st visit to London
- See All Visitor Oyster Card
- See All National Gallery
- See All Indian in South Kensington
- See All Old fashioned sweet shop
- See All Getting to the cruise docks at...
Dabs' Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 260 Reviews
- 465 Photos
- 1,109 Forum posts
- 58 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Posted in Travel Grand Cayman Forum "Re: dolphin swim"
- Commented on one of HackneyBird's London tips
- Wrote a Review Itinerary for a 1st visit to London about Walks and itineraries in London Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hotel in suburban London"
- updated a London Travel Page "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 408 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 260 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues