"When a man tires of London, he is tired of life" London by Dabs
London Travel Guide: 24,187 reviews and 52,326 photos
2014 will see me visiting three times. In April 2014, I stopped here for 6 days sandwiched around 2 days in Paris with a friend who is also celebrating a rather momentous birthday in 2014. Since I was taking around a London newbie, we visited a lot of the usual spots-the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Portobello Road, the V&A, Kensington Palace and my 1st visit to the Globe Theatre for the tour and exhibition. We stayed in 3 different hotels, the Park Grand Paddington, Premier Inn Kensington Olympia and the Corus Hyde Park and I got in three visits with VT friends, too many people to mention. I managed to squeeze in two shows, the immensely funny "Jeeves and Wooster", I defied jetlag to see Matthew MacFayden in his final performance, and "The Commitments"
In August 2014 we stayed in London for a couple of nights after a trip through Scotland, England and Wales, nothing new, Saturday markets, meeting up with VT friends, stopping by Regency Café for breakfast, Masala Zone for dinner and Mrs. Kibbles for some clove balls to take home.
In December 2014 I used some airline miles and stayed at the K&K George in Earl's Court, the trip was specifically to see what London looks like at Christmas time. We took in several shows, visited the Christmas markets, went to Hyde Park to the Winter Wonderland and visited some special exhibits at the museums.
Well, it's partly the fact that we accumulate miles on British Airways, many of our trips have been stopovers on the way to somewhere else in Europe and London is a free add on. Partly it's because there's no language barrier, museums, theater, transportation, menus are all in English.
But it's certainly more than that, London is truly my favorite city in the world, a place that I will never tire of. London was my destination on my first trip outside of North America and has been luring me back ever since, always with the promise of a new secret place to discover or a favorite to revisit. Plus I've met some of the loveliest people in London, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley(Roam), Marion (mazzap), Fergy (planxty), Jen (Jenniflower) and Jo (jo104) have been lovely enough to arrange several VT meetings and outings on my various visits!
December 2014-5 nights with my niece
August 2014-2 nights after a driving trip through the UK
April 2014-6 days with a London newbie
September 2013-a brief stop for another swim, this time in Bray Lake
May-June 2013-another trip combined with Paris for another niece's 1st trip to Europe
July 2012-5 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise to Norway
July 2011-a trip combined with Paris, my niece's 1st trip to Europe
June 2011-a couple of days tacked onto our visit to Macedonia
April/May 2011-a week visit for the royal wedding of William & Kate
September 2010-5 days after visiting Ireland for Jo's Treasure Hunt and Open House weekend
May 2009-stop on the way back from Ukraine
July/August 2008-accompanied by husband, niece, nephew and sister in law
January 2008-2nd visit with Kat (keida84)
May 2007-stop on the way to Venice and Slovenia
January 2006-big VT meeting in London in honor of Kat's 1st visit-see photos from the big meeting over on myGreater London page,
August 2005-stop on the way back from Budapest with hubby
August 2004-1/2 solo, 1/2 with hubby
May 2003-stop on our trip to Poland
July 2002-combined with a trip to Iceland
September 2000-stop on our way to France and Belgium
September 1999-combined with trip to Paris and Loire Valley
March 1995-visit with my husband
February 1988-solo trip, my very 1st trip overseas
Surely with the dismal exchange rate, some North American travelers may be scared off traveling to London. But with a little research there are all kinds of ways to save some money without compromising on the quality of the visit.
London has loads of terrific museums whether you are interested in art, science, or history and they are almost all free.
If you are traveling with a group of 2 people or more, there are all kinds of discounts at the castles, at many of the other attractions or on dining, the best offers are the 2 for 1 offers valid if you have a paper travelcard. If you are traveling with 3 or more people, there are some groupd discounts for train travel outside of London.
Priceline is the only way I book hotels in London, I get 4* hotels for a lot less than booking direct, my most recent stay was $90US + tax for a 5* Marriott!
Theater tickets can be purchased even cheaper than you would find in NYC or Chicago at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and usually with great seats.
London is a melting pot of different ethnic groups and you can find almost any type of food in London, most of the ethnic food is quite reasonably priced and available all over London. Most of our meals were under £10 or less per person, many of our lunches were under £5 per person.
And finally, some vouchers for restaurants, shopping, attractions and more
- Pros:Wonderful history, architecture, and I can read the signs at the museums!
- Cons:23 trips and there are still places left to visit!
- In a nutshell:How can someone not love London????
Premier Inn hotels are fairly standard, I have stayed in a dozen or more over the years in the UK and there are certain... more travel advice
Our 1st few nights of the trip were spent at the Park Grand London Paddington which I got from Hotwire, you don't know... more travel advice
- See All Italian near Waterloo
- See All Itinerary for a 1st visit to London
- See All Visitor Oyster Card
- See All Old Operating Theatre
- See All National Gallery
- See All Old fashioned sweet shop
- See All Getting to the cruise docks at...
- See All Long running theater-who dunnit
- See All Tube etiquette
- See All Tube closures
- See All Rugby at Twickenham
- Nothing out of the ordinary
Dabs' Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 265 Reviews
- 472 Photos
- 1,286 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: It took 20 years..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's London tips
- Wrote a Review Earl's Court boutique hotel in London Hotels
- updated a London Travel Page "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- Uploaded a Photo to "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 410 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 265 reviews, 473 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues