"When a man tires of London, he is tired of life" London by Dabs

London Travel Guide: 24,187 reviews and 52,326 photos

Lots of London

2014 will see me visiting three times. In April 2014, I stopped here for 6 days sandwiched around 2 days in Paris with a friend who is also celebrating a rather momentous birthday in 2014. Since I was taking around a London newbie, we visited a lot of the usual spots-the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Portobello Road, the V&A, Kensington Palace and my 1st visit to the Globe Theatre for the tour and exhibition. We stayed in 3 different hotels, the Park Grand Paddington, Premier Inn Kensington Olympia and the Corus Hyde Park and I got in three visits with VT friends, too many people to mention. I managed to squeeze in two shows, the immensely funny "Jeeves and Wooster", I defied jetlag to see Matthew MacFayden in his final performance, and "The Commitments"

In August 2014 we stayed in London for a couple of nights after a trip through Scotland, England and Wales, nothing new, Saturday markets, meeting up with VT friends, stopping by Regency Café for breakfast, Masala Zone for dinner and Mrs. Kibbles for some clove balls to take home.

In December 2014 I used some airline miles and stayed at the K&K George in Earl's Court, the trip was specifically to see what London looks like at Christmas time. We took in several shows, visited the Christmas markets, went to Hyde Park to the Winter Wonderland and visited some special exhibits at the museums.

What keeps drawing me back to London?

Well, it's partly the fact that we accumulate miles on British Airways, many of our trips have been stopovers on the way to somewhere else in Europe and London is a free add on. Partly it's because there's no language barrier, museums, theater, transportation, menus are all in English.

But it's certainly more than that, London is truly my favorite city in the world, a place that I will never tire of. London was my destination on my first trip outside of North America and has been luring me back ever since, always with the promise of a new secret place to discover or a favorite to revisit. Plus I've met some of the loveliest people in London, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley(Roam), Marion (mazzap), Fergy (planxty), Jen (Jenniflower) and Jo (jo104) have been lovely enough to arrange several VT meetings and outings on my various visits!

London visits
December 2014-5 nights with my niece
August 2014-2 nights after a driving trip through the UK
April 2014-6 days with a London newbie
September 2013-a brief stop for another swim, this time in Bray Lake
May-June 2013-another trip combined with Paris for another niece's 1st trip to Europe
July 2012-5 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise to Norway
July 2011-a trip combined with Paris, my niece's 1st trip to Europe
June 2011-a couple of days tacked onto our visit to Macedonia
April/May 2011-a week visit for the royal wedding of William & Kate
September 2010-5 days after visiting Ireland for Jo's Treasure Hunt and Open House weekend
May 2009-stop on the way back from Ukraine
July/August 2008-accompanied by husband, niece, nephew and sister in law
January 2008-2nd visit with Kat (keida84)
May 2007-stop on the way to Venice and Slovenia
January 2006-big VT meeting in London in honor of Kat's 1st visit-see photos from the big meeting over on myGreater London page,
August 2005-stop on the way back from Budapest with hubby
September 1999-combined with trip to Paris and Loire Valley
March 1995-visit with my husband
February 1988-solo trip, my very 1st trip overseas

London-expensive?

Surely with the dismal exchange rate, some North American travelers may be scared off traveling to London. But with a little research there are all kinds of ways to save some money without compromising on the quality of the visit.

London has loads of terrific museums whether you are interested in art, science, or history and they are almost all free.

If you are traveling with a group of 2 people or more, there are all kinds of discounts at the castles, at many of the other attractions or on dining, the best offers are the 2 for 1 offers valid if you have a paper travelcard. If you are traveling with 3 or more people, there are some groupd discounts for train travel outside of London.

Priceline is the only way I book hotels in London, I get 4* hotels for a lot less than booking direct, my most recent stay was $90US + tax for a 5* Marriott!

Theater tickets can be purchased even cheaper than you would find in NYC or Chicago at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and usually with great seats.

London is a melting pot of different ethnic groups and you can find almost any type of food in London, most of the ethnic food is quite reasonably priced and available all over London. Most of our meals were under £10 or less per person, many of our lunches were under £5 per person.

And finally, some vouchers for restaurants, shopping, attractions and more

• Pros:Wonderful history, architecture, and I can read the signs at the museums!
  • Cons:23 trips and there are still places left to visit!
  • In a nutshell:How can someone not love London????
  • Last visit to London: Dec 2014
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2014

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM

great to know abt the london tips

• Anjuschka's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Love your London page - shows great love and passion for London... I've been to London for 11 times so far and in November I met a few lovely VT people (Sarah, Colin, Angie & Jonathan) - what was a great experience for me and I'm (already) looking forward to my next visit.  Maybe we will meet sometime in the future, too... 

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Pleased you've enjoyed the Wallace Collection. Have you made it to the Sir John Soane museum on Lincoln's Inn Fields? An Excellent little museum, in his house, you have to ring the doorbell for entry but it's free. He's got an Egyptian collection as well as paintings, sculpture, furniture etc.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Aug 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yes, I've been to the Soane Museum but it's been ages, I may go again if we have time on this trip. I'm still trying to get to the Freemason's for a proper tour, always closed.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thanks Kristi for an enjoyable morning read about my favourite capital :-)) I'll be back for more :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

And thanks for the other very interesting ideas and tips and for my enjoyable morning read :-))

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Great London page!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I love the two lead characters in Whitechapel! They play so well off each other with a respect/complete animosity dynamic.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Aug 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Season 2 and 3 don't appear to be on Netflix yet, I will have to remember to add them when they come out. I think I can catch Sherlock's 2nd season on PBS.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
      Aug 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oddly, Season 2 and 3 are very good (possibly better) than Season 1.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hello, Kristi!~Thanks for your comprehensive tips and nice pictures, Kristi!.. When will I have the chance of paying a visit there I wonder...

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Ok, back again as promised :-) I really, really love your London page! I am planning my first trip to UK for next year, and your page has been very helpful. I have added a lot of them to my VT trip planner! Especially thanks for the description of the Eurostar train. Also the ticket booth, tips about oyster card, and so many off the beaten path things that I had never heard about before!
    And thank you for visiting my new Hong Kong page - I only just started building it :-)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Kristi, I cannot believe you have about twice the number of tips I have on the place I live. Memo to self - must try harder! Regards, fergy.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I go to London all the time and still haven't seen half the things! I know what you mean:) Dawn

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in London