"When a man tires of London, he is tired of life" London by Dabs

London Travel Guide: 23,494 reviews and 49,597 photos

Lots of London

I've made two trips to London in 2013, my most recent trip was just a brief stop so that Mr. Dabs could swim in Bray Lake near Maidenhead but we managed to get in all of our favorite foods-fish and chips, chicken shawarma, Indian food and a good English breakfast-and visit a couple of new museums, the Museum of Brands and Packaging and the Old Operating Theatre.

I was also in London in May/June 2013 with another niece that I took to Europe for her 1st overseas trip. We stayed in Westminster at the London Marriott County Hall for 3 nights, traveled to Paris by Eurostar for 6 nights and then back to London for 2 nights, staying in the east end at the Ibis City Hotel. I managed to sneak one new thing in, Leighton House, and revisited some of my favorite spots-Camden, Portobello Road, the Tower of London-and met up with some lovely local ladies, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley (Roam) and Marion (mazzap) for dinner.

What keeps drawing me back to London?

Well, it's partly the fact that we accumulate miles on British Airways, many of our trips have been stopovers on the way to somewhere else in Europe and London is a free add on. Partly it's because there's no language barrier, museums, theater, transportation, menus are all in English.

But it's certainly more than that, London is truly my favorite city in the world, a place that I will never tire of. London was my destination on my first trip outside of North America and has been luring me back ever since, always with the promise of a new secret place to discover or a favorite to revisit. Plus I've met some of the loveliest people in London, Sarah (toonsarah), Lesley(Roam), Marion (mazzap), Fergy (planxty), Jen (Jenniflower) and Jo (jo104) have been lovely enough to arrange several VT meetings and outings on my various visits!

London visits
September 2013-a brief stop for another swim, this time in Bray Lake
May-June 2013-another trip combined with Paris for another niece's 1st trip to Europe
July 2012-5 days pre cruise and 1 day post cruise to Norway
July 2011-a trip combined with Paris, my niece's 1st trip to Europe
June 2011-a couple of days tacked onto our visit to Macedonia
April/May 2011-a week visit for the royal wedding of William & Kate
September 2010-5 days after visiting Ireland for Jo's Treasure Hunt and Open House weekend
May 2009-stop on the way back from Ukraine
July/August 2008-accompanied by husband, niece, nephew and sister in law
January 2008-2nd visit with Kat (keida84)
May 2007-stop on the way to Venice and Slovenia
January 2006-big VT meeting in London in honor of Kat's 1st visit-see photos from the big meeting over on myGreater London page,
August 2005-stop on the way back from Budapest with hubby
September 1999-combined with trip to Paris and Loire Valley
March 1995-visit with my husband
February 1988-solo trip, my very 1st trip overseas

London-expensive?

Surely with the dismal exchange rate, some North American travelers may be scared off traveling to London. But with a little research there are all kinds of ways to save some money without compromising on the quality of the visit.

London has loads of terrific museums whether you are interested in art, science, or history and they are almost all free.

If you are traveling with a group of 2 people or more, there are all kinds of discounts at the castles, at many of the other attractions or on dining, the best offers are the 2 for 1 offers valid if you have a paper travelcard. If you are traveling with 3 or more people, there are some groupd discounts for train travel outside of London.

Priceline is the only way I book hotels in London, I get 4* hotels for a lot less than booking direct, my most recent stay was $90US + tax for a 5* Marriott!

Theater tickets can be purchased even cheaper than you would find in NYC or Chicago at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and usually with great seats.

London is a melting pot of different ethnic groups and you can find almost any type of food in London, most of the ethnic food is quite reasonably priced and available all over London. Most of our meals were under £10 or less per person, many of our lunches were under £5 per person.

And finally, some vouchers for restaurants, shopping, attractions and more

• Pros:Wonderful history, architecture, and I can read the signs at the museums!
  • Cons:20 trips and there are still places left to visit!
  • In a nutshell:How can someone not love London????
  • Last visit to London: Sep 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2013

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thanks Kristi for an enjoyable morning read about my favourite capital :-)) I'll be back for more :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM

And thanks for the other very interesting ideas and tips and for my enjoyable morning read :-))

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Great London page!

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I love the two lead characters in Whitechapel! They play so well off each other with a respect/complete animosity dynamic.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Aug 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Season 2 and 3 don't appear to be on Netflix yet, I will have to remember to add them when they come out. I think I can catch Sherlock's 2nd season on PBS.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oddly, Season 2 and 3 are very good (possibly better) than Season 1.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hello, Kristi!~Thanks for your comprehensive tips and nice pictures, Kristi!.. When will I have the chance of paying a visit there I wonder...

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Ok, back again as promised :-) I really, really love your London page! I am planning my first trip to UK for next year, and your page has been very helpful. I have added a lot of them to my VT trip planner! Especially thanks for the description of the Eurostar train. Also the ticket booth, tips about oyster card, and so many off the beaten path things that I had never heard about before!
    And thank you for visiting my new Hong Kong page - I only just started building it :-)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Kristi, I cannot believe you have about twice the number of tips I have on the place I live. Memo to self - must try harder! Regards, fergy.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I go to London all the time and still haven't seen half the things! I know what you mean:) Dawn

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 5:54 AM

checking out some london restuarants for vt'er Colin's birthday dinner he doesn't like spice

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Spend a few hours in Sheppard's Bush market and see how the other half live... And see why people who grew up there say London is the most depressing place on earth. :/ Did you ever see a BBC show called "North & South"?

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Highlights of London this summer: churches, pubs, and Kenwood! And Highgate Villiage is lovely.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in London