"Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehenge by Dabs
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 622 photos
I had successfully avoided even the thought of going out to see Stonehenge in my ten previous trips to London, it had never even come up as a possibility. But Kat had it on her list of places she wanted to visit, and sometimes you just have to see things for yourself to satisfy your own curiousity.
I didn't want to do one of those "let's see a little bit of 3 places in one day" tours from London, Stonehenge is often combined with Windsor and Bath or Windsor and Oxford and while I didn't think we'd need more than 1/2 hour at Stonehenge, I didn't want to shortchange the other two. So I found that London Walks was doing an Explorer Day to Stonehenge and Salisbury on the Saturday we were there so we headed to Waterloo Station to join up.
Stonehenge was actually a bit more interesting than I thought it would be, yes, it is just a pile of rocks but if you go with an open mind, do a little research and listen to how they believe the stones got there and see the advanced method of construction for the time, you might actually enjoy it a bit more than you think.
There are plans to remove the surrounding motorway which right now removes any mysticism that the sight might have had, I think this would help a great deal in returning this to a viable daytrip from London.
It is believed that around 2150 BC, bluestones from the Preseli mountains in Wales were brought here. The huge... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "A sacred site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 5 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 610 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues