"Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehenge by Dabs

Stonehenge Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 547 photos

I had successfully avoided even the thought of going out to see Stonehenge in my ten previous trips to London, it had never even come up as a possibility. But Kat had it on her list of places she wanted to visit, and sometimes you just have to see things for yourself to satisfy your own curiousity.

I didn't want to do one of those "let's see a little bit of 3 places in one day" tours from London, Stonehenge is often combined with Windsor and Bath or Windsor and Oxford and while I didn't think we'd need more than 1/2 hour at Stonehenge, I didn't want to shortchange the other two. So I found that London Walks was doing an Explorer Day to Stonehenge and Salisbury on the Saturday we were there so we headed to Waterloo Station to join up.

Stonehenge was actually a bit more interesting than I thought it would be, yes, it is just a pile of rocks but if you go with an open mind, do a little research and listen to how they believe the stones got there and see the advanced method of construction for the time, you might actually enjoy it a bit more than you think.

There are plans to remove the surrounding motorway which right now removes any mysticism that the sight might have had, I think this would help a great deal in returning this to a viable daytrip from London.

• Last visit to Stonehenge: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2008

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I think Stonehenge is over-rated and how long can you look at a few stones for!!! Certainly not worth a day trip!!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Stonehenge is fascinating! Glad you went to go see it! Now I get to see it in VT! Thank you!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Glad you're having fun down there in London! :-) Hope the sun is still shining for you - we've had heavy rain up here this afternoon! :-( All set for the rugby this weekend? :-)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Always wanted to see Stonehenge. Just for a pile of rocks...

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Stonehenge

Have you been to Stonehenge?

Latest Activity in Stonehenge