"Visit to Warwick Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Warwick by Dabs

Warwick Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 493 photos

A return visit August 2008

Our 1st visit to Warwick Castle was in July 2004 when my husband and I made the trip out there, we liked the experience so much that I put it at the top of the list of places to take my young niece and nephew when we visited London in August 2008. I was even able to find a deal at the last minute, appropriately through Last Minute.com, for 2 for 1 tickets for both the kids and adults. This is my favorite castle in England that we've visited although Windsor is a close second, a terrific place to take kids that is not too far outside of London.

I had been wanting to head out to this castle for years before we actually made it there but as it's located almost 2 hours outside of London, July 2004 was the first chance I had for a full day trip out. If you have a couple of days to spare, you might consider staying in the area for a couple of nights (see Shakespeare Explorer under transportation tips) and visiting nearby Stratford, the castle at Kenilworth or Royal Leamington Spa.

Some people may say that Warwick Castle is too touristy but I think it's a nice balance of history and theater, something that will please both kids and adults. Check the Castle's website for special events, although the Great Mediaeval Summer is only during peak season, they seem to have plenty of activities in the off season as well.

• Last visit to Warwick: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Your photos in your tips and travelogues bring back nice memories of my visits to Warwick Castle in the 1990s. I used to take groups there from Birmingham, because Birmingham and Frankfurt are twinned cities.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Well, I live in Warwick....Rhode Island. Afraid we don't have anything so magnificent as the castle here. Thanks for some neat pics.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I enjoyed your new tips, Kristi. Warwick Castle would be a "must-see" for sure! It's great you've been able to visit it more than once...

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM

That is a real bird's-eye view from up there on the ramparts! Thanks for this delightful litte tour of Warwick castle - makes me want to go back and sample a few more of the countless spectacular estates spread across this country!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Warwick & its lovely castle looks like a lot of fun = hope you released your husband after the picture!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Poor David in the Stockade! What did he do this time??? Cool Pic of Ramparts Walk. I absolutely love Peacocks - they're so regal.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 7:31 AM

I went to Stratford but didn't get to Warwich Castle. Too stingy to pay the price but maybe I should have. Anyway great pics and tips...Cheers

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Hi Dabs, Was interested in reading your Warwick page I live d there for 15 years and infact am only 20mins from there now in Coventry Its a shame you only had one day as there is so much more to see and do. Hope you come back and visit again

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 3:22 PM

Are you sure that if the Archers were suffering from dysentery that it was actually a field of 'mud' in which they were standing?!? Did you get to throw any rotting food at the hubby whilst he was in the stocks ;-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for very good suggestion for one day trip from London!!!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Warwick

Have you been to Warwick?

Latest Activity in Warwick