Windsor Transportation Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination
Windsor Transportation: 19 reviews and 31 photos
Updated June 2011
To get from Windsor to Heathrow we went to the main street in front of the Castle where there were 2 stops with buses going to Heathrow, bus 77 from stop D in front of WH Smith and bus 71 at stop J a little further up the street on the other side. The schedule is posted at the bus stop, for us on a Sunday they left at 7 and 9 past the hour so either route would have got us there at about the same time. The bus takes you to Terminal 5, you can use airport transit if you need to get to another terminal. The bus ride should take 40-50 minutes and currently costs £4.30, you buy the ticket when you get on the bus.
Windsor and Eton Central Station
The quickest way to Windsor from London is via train from Paddington Station to Slough where you change trains for Windsor and Eton Central station. From the train station in Windsor, it is a very short walk to the castle. The train takes 35-40 minutes if you catch a direct train. The platforms at Slough are well marked, there is a directional sign telling you where to pick up the train for Windsor.
You can also leave from London's Waterloo station with no change but it takes over 50 minutes and it goes into Windsor and Eton Riverside Station, a 5-10 minute walk from the castle.
Unlike most other daytrips from London where the cheapest ticket is prebooked in advance at specific times, the cheapest option to Windsor always seems to be a cheap day return which you can purchase on the day of travel and gives you the flexibility of returning when you want and not having to select a return time. But you need to travel offpeak, after 9:30am during the week, no restrictions on the weekend. In January 2008, we paid £8.10 round trip per person, in July 2008 we got a group saver where 4 people travel for the price of 2 and it was £4.05 per person. In June 2011 we only needed to go one way from Waterloo, it was £8.50 one way, reduced to £7.30 by showing our travelcards.
Check here for other transport options
More Reviews (27)
- Royal Windsor Open Water Swim
- B&B about 10 minutes from the center
- See All Windsor Castle-Changing of the Guard
- See All Avoid long lines
Dabs' Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My biased viewpoint"
- "Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen"
- "Windsor Castle"
- "The Splendours of Windsor"
- "Windsor-the royal residences."
- "Historic and Lovely Windsor"
- " Windsor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 29 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 262 reviews, 471 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues