"Windsor Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by Dabs
Windsor Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,118 photos
I've been out to Windsor seven times on various trips, five times to visit the castle, most recently December 2014, twice just to walk the streets and in June 2011 so my husband could swim in a race in the Thames. One local who was kind enough to give us directions to our B&B exclaimed "Idiot!" when we told him why we were there. Although not a very British response, it was still quite appropriate!
Windsor is one of the best and simplest daytrips from London, you can get there by train from either Paddington in a 1/2 hour with a change of train or Waterloo in about an hour without a change of trains and the Castle is just a short walk from either train station. The main attraction of Windsor is Windsor Castle and not only is it one of the closest castles to London, it's one of the best preserved and most interesting. The site of the Castle was chosen by William the Conqueror around 1070, he thought it would be a good place to have a castle to defend London. The outer walls you see today are the same place as the original walls. It is a working palace, the official residence of The Queen and the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world.
In addition to the castle, you can wander over to see nearby Eton, shop along the High Street or go out on a boat on the Thames.
I hadn't intended on taking my 14 year old niece and 13 year old nephew here as I didn't want them to suffer from castle overload since we already had the Tower of London and Warwick Castle on the itinerary. But my sister in law thought they would enjoy it and when we woke up to a lovely sunny day, we headed to Paddington Station to make the trip. It ended up being one of their favorite things that we saw, an added bonus was that we saw the changing of the guard here and they decided they didn't need to see it at Buckingham Palace.
If you have a substantial layover at Heathrow, one of the options if you don't want to hang out at the airport is to take the bus over to Windsor to see the castle, do some shopping or grab a bite to eat.
British Airways recommended having at least a 6 hour layover in order to make it worthwhile leaving. I think that's a pretty good estimate, we had a 7 hour layover, spent a few hours at Windsor and got back with plenty of time but opted to walk around town instead of visiting the castle.
- Pros:close to London with an awesome castle
- Cons:none I can think of
- In a nutshell:Perfect day trip from London
We were both getting a bit hungry so we settled on Zizzi, not really because we wanted to eat there but because we... more travel advice
IWe needed a place to stay for 1 night in Windsor before heading off to the airport and found that the Alma House was... more travel advice
- See All Avoid long lines
- See All Get on the right train from Paddington
- See All Windsor Castle shopping
Dabs' Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My biased viewpoint"
- "Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen"
- "Windsor Castle"
- "The Splendours of Windsor"
- "Windsor-the royal residences."
- "Historic and Lovely Windsor"
- " Windsor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 30 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues