"Windsor Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by Dabs

Windsor Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,108 photos

Windsor, an easy daytrip from London

I've been out to Windsor seven times on various trips, four times to visit the castle, most recently July 2011, twice just to walk the streets and in June 2011 so my husband could swim in a race in the Thames. One local who was kind enough to give us directions to our B&B exclaimed "Idiot!" when we told him why we were there. Although not a very British response, it was still quite appropriate!

Windsor is one of the best and simplest daytrips from London, you can get there by train from either Paddington in a 1/2 hour with a change of train or Waterloo in about an hour without a change of trains and the Castle is just a short walk from either train station. The main attraction of Windsor is Windsor Castle and not only is it one of the closest castles to London, it's one of the best preserved and most interesting. The site of the Castle was chosen by William the Conqueror around 1070, he thought it would be a good place to have a castle to defend London. The outer walls you see today are the same place as the original walls. It is a working palace, the official residence of The Queen and the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world.

In addition to the castle, you can wander over to see nearby Eton, shop along the High Street or go out on a boat on the Thames.

July 2008-family trip

I hadn't intended on taking my 14 year old niece and 13 year old nephew here as I didn't want them to suffer from castle overload since we already had the Tower of London and Warwick Castle on the itinerary. But my sister in law thought they would enjoy it and when we woke up to a lovely sunny day, we headed to Paddington Station to make the trip. It ended up being one of their favorite things that we saw, an added bonus was that we saw the changing of the guard here and they decided they didn't need to see it at Buckingham Palace.

Windsor on a layover from Heathrow May 2004

If you have a substantial layover at Heathrow, one of the options if you don't want to hang out at the airport is to take the bus over to Windsor to see the castle, do some shopping or grab a bite to eat.

British Airways recommended having at least a 6 hour layover in order to make it worthwhile leaving. I think that's a pretty good estimate, we had a 7 hour layover, spent a few hours at Windsor and got back with plenty of time but opted to walk around town instead of visiting the castle.

• Pros:close to London with an awesome castle
  • Cons:none I can think of
  • In a nutshell:Perfect day trip from London
  • Last visit to Windsor: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I've enjoyed your page on Windsor. Had hoped to make it here, but ran out of time!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM

When William the Conqueror chose this site for the castle he thought of everything except that a big airport would be built nearby a mere eight and a half centuries later. I’m surprised the Queen tolerates all that aircraft noise.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 6:16 AM

how long does it take to go around the castle?

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2008 at 3:37 AM

Seems you had a smashin' time in Windsor. Love the Crooked Tea House. I once visited Windsor Castle - memories are a little faded as it was 40 years ago in 1968. Cheerio!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Windsor Castle would be a site I'd love to visit--the grounds look very manicured and welcoming, too! The Crooked Tea Room would be my choice for a spot of that well-loved beverage. I enjoyed your tips!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM

You sneak your humor into your tips, and I like it! What a wonderful Aunt you are...terrific that Changing of the Guard was here...I always know I'll read helpful, interesting, and fun tips on your pages.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hey Kristi, bring the sunshine back! The rain is lashing against my window and its miserable! Great Windsor page and nice updates from your recent visit. The Crooked Tea House looks excellent! :-)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Lovely updates Kristi! I too LOVE the big dolls house, could look at it for hours!!!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Hi Kristi! Wonderful page of Windsor where I spent a day last year with my daughter and we had lovely time there in spite of various rain showers.

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Great overall Windsor page! I am looking forward to visiting now more than ever :) Thanks!!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Windsor

Have you been to Windsor?

Latest Activity in Windsor