"Blarney" Top 5 Page for this destination Blarney by Dabs

Blarney Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 204 photos

Our visit to Blarney came on a Friday night/Saturday morning, day 5/6 of our driving tour of southern Ireland. We had to be in Cork, just 10km away from Blarney, on Saturday afternoon so my husband could do a swim race and nearby Blarney fit into the plans nicely. It was easier to stay here than in Cork, parking was free and the hotel very easy to find.

Blarney Castle

I can't see that there's much reason to come to Blarney except to visit the Castle, the guidebooks barely even mention the town. It's best to visit when the castle opens, before the buses start arriving, or later in the afternoon, after they've all head out, to avoid the crowds as this is one of the top tourist draws in the country.

Is the castle a load of Blarney?

Sure, kissing the Blarney Stone is a bit of a tourist trap and I would have been loath to wait in a queue for the experience but since we beat the crowds, didn't have to wait for the Blarney Stone or endure huge crowds, I really enjoyed our visit to this castle. The overcast weather was perfect for the visit, it gave an eerie feel to the Castle and to the Close which is rumored to be an ancient Druid worship site. So if you find yourself in the general vicinity of Blarney or Cork, I'd say it's worth the visit.

It was quite a different experience with Bunratty Castle, the other highly visited castle in Ireland, where the place was crawling with tourists. There I *was* one of those loathsome bus tourists who arrived midday.

• Last visit to Blarney: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Nice page with helpful tips, and beaut photos. Golly, Ireland is soooo green! I really like the look of Blarney House, interesting design and you have taken a good photo of it!

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I didn't bother going to see the castle. Took a photo of it from over a wall from the road! I did however, bend my credit card in the Woolen Mill. Excellent shopping!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Blarney house actually looks better than the castle. Lets just hope your abiding eloquence rubs off on those who follow you to the Stone! <(•¿•)>

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM

It would be a load of blarney if I told you I did not like this page! Excellent photos of the castle and grounds Kristi, not to mention all the interesting historical information!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Another lovely glimpse of Ireland Kristi. But don't worry - you are elequent enough, as your VT pages testify, whether or not the Blarney Stone works ;-)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 5:14 AM

That's a really nice page, Kristi! Love the pic of you kissing the stone :o)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 6:38 AM

Great page! Hope you have a happy birthday...and that's no Blarney!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I certainly enjoyed your descriptions and insights about Blarney...I am always assured of an honest, helpful, and entertaining read. Hotel sounds like a good selection. Great page, Kristi.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Well at least you can safely say you didn't break the camera ;-) I think they held me up by my feet to smooch the stone! Great review

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM

"...never misses to grow eloquent."?? What the heck does that even mean? New movie recommendation for you --> "The Stone of Destiny" (2008).

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Blarney

Have you been to Blarney?

Latest Activity in Blarney