"Cahir" Caher by Dabs

Caher Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 111 photos

Our visit to Cahir was a 2-3 hour stop on a very full day, we had started the morning off by leaving Waterford and driving along the coast, stopped in Lismore for a quick look at the castle there and an early lunch. Continuing on we drove through the Knockmealdown Mountains to get to Cahir where we stopped to see Cahir Castle and the Swiss Cottage before heading to Cashel and finally driving to Killarney where we spent the night. I didn't really feel rushed through the day, but it was a lot to do in a day.

If I had the trip to plan over again, I probably would have stayed in Kilkenny instead of Waterford and visited Cahir and Cashel earlier in the day. But I really liked the little town of Lismore and enjoyed the coastal drive from Waterford to Lismore. We could have still driven through Lismore on our way to Killarney but would have missed the coastal route.

• Last visit to Caher: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2009

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I do love old fortifications such as Cahir Castle, so this looks like my kind of town! Throw in an old cottage and beautiful scenery - I think you have a winner in Caher.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Some good places of interest to visit here. The Swiss cottage looks well worth the tour, and the information on it is quite an interesting story! Wouldn't want to miss a visit to the Castle either!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Would love to visit the castle and what a great story about the cute looking Swiss cottage!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

That story does sound like something you might find in a fairy tale, or at least in a Victorian novel. Cahir Castle looks like a great place to make a movie -- do you know if anyone has ever done that?

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Caher