Dublin Nightlife Tips by Dabs

Dublin Nightlife: 471 reviews and 509 photos

Traditional Pubs: Literary Pub Crawl Traditional Pubs Review

I confess that I have not read many books by Irish authors and those I have read, like "Angela's Ashes", "Round Ireland with a Fridge" and anything by Roddy Doyle aren't typically referred to by the word literature. But I read my friend Isa's (Jefie) review and thought it sounded like fun so I decided to head over on my first night in Dublin.

I got to Duke's Pub at about 7:20pm and the organizer said to have a seat at the bar, they might not have enough room for me. They ended up running two tours that night, one group of about 40 and our group of 22. You stop at four pubs along the way including Duke's with at least enough time for a drink, my favorite stop was O'Neill's, a massive pub with all kinds of interesting nooks and crannies. I don't remember the name of the next pub we stopped at, I struck up a conversation with some folks from Cork and never got around to ordering a drink! The final stop was in front of Davy Byrne's where we had a quiz and one lucky person won a pub crawl tshirt.

In between the drinking, the two actors hosting the tour tell stories and perform works by famous Irish writers such as Oscar Wilde and James Joyce. It was a highly entertaining evening and never fear, you needn't try to digest "Ulysses" in order to enjoy this tour.

In order to avoid disappointment, you may want to reserve in advance. You can book at the tourism office or book online, I found a 1€ discount coupon at the tourism office inside a Dublin guide, you might be able to use it if booking at the tourism office. The price was 12€, 11€ with the discount.

Dress Code: Comfortable shoes and an umbrella

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.dublinpubcrawl.com/

• Written Jul 29, 2009

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Dublin