"Howth IS Magic!" Top 5 Page for this destination Howth by Dabs

Howth Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 587 photos

Howth (rhymes with both) is a delightful seaside town about 15km from Dublin and an easy daytrip from the capital city. If someone was just visiting Dublin on their trip to Ireland, this would be a great place to visit to see the seaside, get some fresh air and enjoy a nice meal of fresh seafood.

Howth is easily combined with a visit to nearby Malahide Castle on a daytrip from Dublin, I spent 3-4 hours in Howth and then headed to Malahide to see Malahide Castle for a couple of hours and then back to Howth for an early dinner. Plus I still had time to visit Dun Laoghaire in the evening for a walk along the pier there.

The Cliff Walk is what drew me to Howth, anyone who knows me knows that I like to walk and when I woke up to a beautiful sunny day in Dublin I thought Howth was the perfect choice for the day. Some accounts say that the Cliff Walk can be dangerous in high winds but the path felt perfectly safe to me on this particular day. The Cliff Walk has several different trails in varying degrees of length and difficulty, I chose one of the shorter trails because I wanted to visit Malahide as well as Howth.

• Last visit to Howth: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2009

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Loved Howth..been there 3 times. Never got around to writing about it though. Your pages very informative.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Thank you for an outstanding tour of Malahide and Howth Castles - cliff walk must have been great.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Wow, beautiful blue skies when you visited. Great Malahide Castle and Howth Castle tips. Crab cakes look delicious.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Nice to do a cliff walk so often its just drive here see the castle & go

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Interesting story on Malahide Castle...also I imagine you had some spectacular views along the cliff walk!! Too bad Howth castle was not open for visiting, but it gave you a nice photo op!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I would feed the Seals too, they are rather cute!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Malalude Castle and your Cliff Walk both sound excellent. You are such an accomplished traveler....well researched, unafraid of exploration, and possessing keen insights.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Ah Kristi, I envy you for having been to Ireland! Loved your excellent photos and was especially interested in the Cliff Walk and old castles. Thanks for this excellent little page - makes me want to go back!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Kristi, lovely little page about Howth, which I explored on my very first visit of Ireland back in 1995. Your page brings back many memories.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 2:09 AM

wow Kristi its particularly Malahide castle I want/need to rtn to Ireland for!along with Glendalough...ran out of time on our 1st trip....had to drive madly from Dublin to Larne to make the ferry by just a few minutes!nice to see yr pg!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Howth