"Kilkenny-1st stop on our Ireland adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilkenny by Dabs

Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 662 photos

Kilkenny was a last minute addition to our trip, decided as we were flying over the Atlantic, in lieu of stopping at Powerscourt near Dublin which I figured I'd visit while I was in Dublin (I didn't). By the time we arrived in Kilkenny, the beautiful blue skies we had arrived to in Dublin had been replaced by ominous rain clouds, something I would eventually get used to as we traveled through Ireland but on the 1st day was a little disheartening.

I had originally thought we might stay in Kilkenny instead of Waterford, in retrospect it might have been a better choice for a base than Waterford turned out to be given what we ended up seeing. I certainly would have liked to see the city with clear skies and a bit of sun, maybe next time!

Kilkenny would be a good base to see some of the surrounding sights, Jerpoint Abbey is very close by, slightly farther away are the Rock of Cashel and Cahir which are both worth seeing.

• Last visit to Kilkenny: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Good Kilkenny page. I really like Jerpoint abbey and your travelogue photos.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Hi, Kristi! ><><>< Thanks for your virtual tour of Kilkenny! ><><><

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Great page on your experiences of Kilkenny. Shame you didn't get to see much of the castle grounds due to the weather. I saw plenty of the grounds on my trip as the fire alarm went off while touring the castle- and the garden was the assembly point!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Kristi, gorgous little page about this well know Irish gem, which up to now I always missed on my trips through Ireland. So it is probably about time for another visit.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 7:02 AM

You seem to have packed plenty into your visit, depite the rain and the jet-lag. Jerpoint Abbey looks especially worth seeing -and I bet it would look even better with blue skies ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I agree that an info sheet is often better than a guided tour, unless you happen to get a really knowledgeable guide who doesn't rush you through. Lately I have had very good luck with audio guides, which seem to be getting better every year.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Another great page, Kristi. Boy, the skies looked so dark. But, as we do also, you didn't let the weather detour you. Jerpoint Abbey is quite appealing. Link to travelogue not working from Jerpoint Abbey page.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Lovely tour here - great photos/detail - like to see the new among the old. Grazie, <(•¿•)>

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Rain or no rain, Kilkenny Castle still looks impressive! The city seems to have quite interesting cathedrals and abbeys too, even if one of them has a smokestack! Sue & I drove past Kilkenny as we drove from Wicklow to Limerick (no time to stop).

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I would very much like to visit this town, looks great! I have never heard of a parking meter that takes credit cards before here in Europe.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Kilkenny

Have you been to Kilkenny?

Latest Activity in Kilkenny