"Killarney and the Ring of Kerry" Top 5 Page for this destination Killarney by Dabs

Killarney Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 586 photos

The Ring of Kerry was the one place that everyone seemed to have on their must see list for Ireland, some people meander leisurely through the Ring spending multiple days here, others like me devise a way to drive the whole route in a day. It doesn't sound like a long drive from the actual mileage but driving in Ireland isn't quick, especially on the scenic routes so plan for at least a day to drive the Ring of Kerry.

Like us, most people make Killarney their base to drive the Ring of Kerry, we spent the night before we drove it in Killarney and made Kenmare on the other side of the ring our stopping point for the evening. In the morning we visited some of the sights around Killarney-Ross Castle, Ladies View, Torc Waterfall and Muckross House before doubling back and driving the Ring of Kerry counterclockwise as most of the guidebooks suggested in order to avoid the inevitable game of chicken we would have to play with the tour buses.

This is definitely a day where weather made a huge difference, we had gorgeous sunshine and great visibility, I don't know that it would be nearly as enjoyable on a rainy, foggy, overcast day.

• Last visit to Killarney: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2009

Travelogues (1)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Oh the memories! You were so lucky to strike such a beautiful sunny day for your drive around the Ring of Kerry. It took me three trips to Ireland to get the right weather, but I'm sure you'd agree that it is worth the wait. Lovely page and good photos Kristi. thank you.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      May 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Weather makes all the difference in the world. In Ireland, you have to take advantage of the good weather when you get it :-)

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Was it expensive to hire a car? I loved my brief tour of the south was that the walls they built in the potato famine

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM

This place is so pretty it brings tears to my eyes. You should have taken a pic of that robotic tour guide at Muckross. Your tips are become WAY more personal than they used to be--they're super fun to read!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Kristi, lovely little page about Killarney and the Ring of Kerry, which I visited about 15 years ago. I can't remember any debates about horses and nappies. *winkygrin*

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 9:06 AM

While the Wexford Commodore Barry is said to be the Father of the American navy, another Irishman is said to have founded the Argentine navy. We Irish must have been great sailors!!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Have just been for a lovely weekend at Killarney in Queensland, Australia. It was settled by the Irish and is named after Killarney, Ireland.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Killarney

Have you been to Killarney?