Obcina Skocjan Things to Do Tips by Dabs
Obcina Skocjan Things to Do: 13 reviews and 32 photos
The visit starts off with a 10 minute walk from the ticket booth, they then break visitors off into different language groups and enter the first section, the Silent Cave, where we saw stalagtites and stalagmites and briefly for a moment I wondered what the big deal was. Then we entered the Great Hall and I thought well that's nice but I just saw that at Postojna. And then we started to hear the low rumble of the Reka River and as we continued on into the Murmuring Cave we were transported into a scene out of Lord of the Rings, at any minute I expected to see Gollum creeping by hissing "Precious". And secretly hoped Legolas or Aragorn would come rescue me!
Had the cave not been so chilly, this is my image of Hades, steam rising up from the ground, me a small speck in a vast cavern, inching my way along a ledge, a small slip and I plunge into the River Styx below where Charon would be waiting to ferry me into the underworld.
Those with a serious fear of heights will want to scurry across the Cerkvenik Bridge, 150 feet above the Reka, otherwise linger for the view, it's not likely that you'll see anything like this again.
I could list for you the dimensions of the cave but seeing mere numbers on a piece of paper can't possibly convey the vastness of this cave. My jaw dropped the second we walked into the Murmuring Cave and I don't think I shut it again until I saw daylight. At the end you finally get a break from climbing up and down and ride a funicular to the top.
Cave tours are every hour from 10-17 in the peak months of June-September, 2-3 times per day in the other months. Consult the website below for updated information. Current price is 11E, tours are given in English, Slovene and German.
Directions: Nearest town is Divaca, about midway between Postojna and Piran along toll road A1, very well marked from the highway
There was a sign for a scenic view (or maybe it was panoramic?) at the ticket office and once again when we exited the funicular so we walked up to the top for the view. I think that's the town of Skocjan off in the distance.
More Reviews (6)
Dabs' Related Pages
Obcina Skocjan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VT's First Skocjan Cave Page!!"
- "Skocjan Caves"
- "Škocjan Caves Park"
- "whispers in the world below"
- "Skocjan Cave"
- "Rakov Skocjan Regional Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Obcina Skocjan
- Transportation in Obcina Skocjan
- Restaurants in Obcina Skocjan
- Warnings and Dangers in Obcina Skocjan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dubai Hotels
- East Nashville Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Gangtok Hotels
- San Diego Hotels
- Cebu City
- La Spezia
- Los Angeles Things to Do
- Kuala Lumpur Things to Do
- PCH--Pacific Coast Highway--Highway 1
- Kingston Things to Do
- Muscat Things to Do
- Eureka Things to Do
- Marco Island Things to Do
- Crystal River Things to Do
- Province of Ilocos Sur Things to Do
- Puerto Peñasco Things to Do
- Niagara Falls Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Obcina Skocjan
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Obcina Skocjan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Obcina Skocjan
Photos in Obcina SkocjanSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues