Obcina Skocjan Things to Do Tips by Dabs

Obcina Skocjan Things to Do: 13 reviews and 32 photos

Cave exit - Obcina Skocjan

Cave exit

Visiting Skocjan Caves Skocjan Caves Review

The visit starts off with a 10 minute walk from the ticket booth, they then break visitors off into different language groups and enter the first section, the Silent Cave, where we saw stalagtites and stalagmites and briefly for a moment I wondered what the big deal was. Then we entered the Great Hall and I thought well that's nice but I just saw that at Postojna. And then we started to hear the low rumble of the Reka River and as we continued on into the Murmuring Cave we were transported into a scene out of Lord of the Rings, at any minute I expected to see Gollum creeping by hissing "Precious". And secretly hoped Legolas or Aragorn would come rescue me!

Had the cave not been so chilly, this is my image of Hades, steam rising up from the ground, me a small speck in a vast cavern, inching my way along a ledge, a small slip and I plunge into the River Styx below where Charon would be waiting to ferry me into the underworld.

Those with a serious fear of heights will want to scurry across the Cerkvenik Bridge, 150 feet above the Reka, otherwise linger for the view, it's not likely that you'll see anything like this again.

I could list for you the dimensions of the cave but seeing mere numbers on a piece of paper can't possibly convey the vastness of this cave. My jaw dropped the second we walked into the Murmuring Cave and I don't think I shut it again until I saw daylight. At the end you finally get a break from climbing up and down and ride a funicular to the top.

Cave tours are every hour from 10-17 in the peak months of June-September, 2-3 times per day in the other months. Consult the website below for updated information. Current price is 11E, tours are given in English, Slovene and German.

Directions: Nearest town is Divaca, about midway between Postojna and Piran along toll road A1, very well marked from the highway

Website: http://www.park-skocjanske-jame.si/eng/

• Updated Feb 2, 2011
Scenic view - Obcina Skocjan

Scenic view

Scenic view

There was a sign for a scenic view (or maybe it was panoramic?) at the ticket office and once again when we exited the funicular so we walked up to the top for the view. I think that's the town of Skocjan off in the distance.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jun 13, 2007

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Obcina Skocjan

Have you been to Obcina Skocjan?

Latest Activity in Obcina Skocjan