Granada Local Custom Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination

Granada Local Customs: 64 reviews and 70 photos

Anti Bush graffiti in the Old Arab Quarter - Granada

Anti Bush graffiti in the Old Arab Quarter

Anti-Bush

Seems everywhere I've gone in the past several years I've found graffiti aimed at the current President of the United States but I don't view it as Anti-American sentiment as much as Anti-Bush sentiment. I think people in other countries can separate the people from the US from the politics and leaders of the US.

I didn't personally encounter any anti-American sentiments while in Spain so felllow Americans, no need to sew those maple leaves on your back pack just yet ;-)

• Written May 29, 2006
Pomegranate - Granada

Pomegranate

Where are all the pomegranates?

The pomegranate appears on the city of Granada's coat of arms and Granada is the Spanish word for pomegranate so I expected to see pomegranates everywhere but the pomegranate I found on the side of this building and these little metal posts that divided the street from the sidewalk were the only ones I saw. Well, except for the really, really, really tacky smiling pomegranate souvenir I picked up for my husband, it looks like someone has taken a couple of big bites out of his head, the poor little fellow!

Would it have hurt to have a few dancing pomegranates in the Plaza Bib-Rambla? All we saw was an overheated Barney (you know, the I love you, you love me magenta dinosaur that seemingly rational adults loathe to the point of violence) and some really annoying mimes. Yes, I know annoying mimes is redundant.....

• Updated May 21, 2006
Sundays in Spain

I don't think this is unique to Granada or even Spain but as I was wandering around Sunday afternoon I found that most shops were closed including grocery stores. I pretty much wandered the entire central district before finally finding a mini market where I could buy some drinks and snacks. And I found very few shops open although we did do some shopping in the touristy Alcaiceria district (Old Moorish silk market), just north of the Plaza Bib-Rambla and some of the tourist souvenir shops along the Plaza were open as well as the ones near the Cathedral.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated May 16, 2006
Free tapas with drinks FREE TAPAS Review

Granada is known for their practice of giving you free tapas when you order a drink. We mostly ordered meals so we didn't get one until our last night there when we ate at Ooh La La in the Plaza Bib-Rambla where they gave us a good sized portion of chicken on a skewer and olives before our meal.

• Written May 15, 2006

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Granada

Have you been to Granada?

Latest Activity in Granada