Granada Local Custom Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination
Granada Local Customs: 64 reviews and 78 photos
Anti Bush graffiti in the Old Arab Quarter
Seems everywhere I've gone in the past several years I've found graffiti aimed at the current President of the United States but I don't view it as Anti-American sentiment as much as Anti-Bush sentiment. I think people in other countries can separate the people from the US from the politics and leaders of the US.
I didn't personally encounter any anti-American sentiments while in Spain so felllow Americans, no need to sew those maple leaves on your back pack just yet ;-)
The pomegranate appears on the city of Granada's coat of arms and Granada is the Spanish word for pomegranate so I expected to see pomegranates everywhere but the pomegranate I found on the side of this building and these little metal posts that divided the street from the sidewalk were the only ones I saw. Well, except for the really, really, really tacky smiling pomegranate souvenir I picked up for my husband, it looks like someone has taken a couple of big bites out of his head, the poor little fellow!
Would it have hurt to have a few dancing pomegranates in the Plaza Bib-Rambla? All we saw was an overheated Barney (you know, the I love you, you love me magenta dinosaur that seemingly rational adults loathe to the point of violence) and some really annoying mimes. Yes, I know annoying mimes is redundant.....
I don't think this is unique to Granada or even Spain but as I was wandering around Sunday afternoon I found that most shops were closed including grocery stores. I pretty much wandered the entire central district before finally finding a mini market where I could buy some drinks and snacks. And I found very few shops open although we did do some shopping in the touristy Alcaiceria district (Old Moorish silk market), just north of the Plaza Bib-Rambla and some of the tourist souvenir shops along the Plaza were open as well as the ones near the Cathedral.
Granada is known for their practice of giving you free tapas when you order a drink. We mostly ordered meals so we didn't get one until our last night there when we ate at Ooh La La in the Plaza Bib-Rambla where they gave us a good sized portion of chicken on a skewer and olives before our meal.
More Reviews (33)
- Required reading
- See All Jardines del Triunfo (Gardens of...
- See All Summer Palace
- See All Crepes and more
- Visiting Granada
Dabs' Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- "GRANADA IN NOVEMBER"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 37 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 410 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 265 reviews, 473 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (156)
- Alhambra- 217 Reviews, 438 Photos
- Albaicin- 74 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Alhambra - Generalife Gardens- 78 Reviews, 174 Photos
- Alhambra - Nasrid Palaces- 145 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Mirador de San Nicolas- 17 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Catedral de la Annunciacion- 54 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Sierra Nevada- 12 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Alcaiceria - Zoco- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Sacromonte- 14 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Alhambra - Carlos V Palace- 41 Reviews, 88 Photos
See All Granada Things to Do