Granada Transportation Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination
Granada Transportation: 82 reviews and 69 photos
We had originally planned to drive from Marbella to Granada but I was reluctant because I hadn't driven a manual car in quite a few years and Kat wasn't comfortable after seeing the traffic on the highway so we ditched the car idea and took the bus instead.
It was 2 3/4 hours to get from Marbella to Granada, 45 minutes longer if you got a non direct bus. Even though our bus was direct, it did stop in Malaga. Once on the road, I was glad we decided to take the bus, we could enjoy a chat and the scenery and avoided the crazy roads in Granada, it would have taken ages to find our hotel!
The cost was 13.27E one way, slightly more for the non direct bus.
We did not have advance reservations, if you need to be on a specific bus, you might ask if that is a possibility as our bus was pretty full. I think some other VTers had purchased in advance.
A beautiful view on the climb up
After having a nice lunch at a cafe alongside the Darro River which sits right below the Alhambra, we asked our waiter how to get to the Alhambra and he said we could either walk back to the Plaza Nueva and take a bus or walk and that the pathway was just a short distance away. "Just a little steep" he said.....
I'm never adverse to climbing anything (just ask my husband about that vertical hour climb up to Eze!) but I suppose I could have looked at where we were standing in relation to where we needed to go and should have known that "just a little steep" was a bit of an understatement. I left the decision up to my trusty sidekick Kat and she said let's walk it and it really wasn't that bad of a climb. And it deposited us pretty much right at the ticket office!
But really, just how silly was it to walk UP and take a bus back down? ;-)
The bus back down was small and very crowded but the ride is short, cost is 1E. We stopped several times going from the ticket office back down, look for a bus that is going to Plaza Nueva.
Phone: + 34 958 185 480.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE to walk, you get to see so much more, can dart down mysterious alleyways, weave your way in and out of shops and churches. Plus you get to work off a few calories, definitely a plus for me since eating is my other favorite travel activity.
I thought Granada was very walkable but if you're limited in your walking abilities you might look into taking a bus or taxi up to the Alhambra since from every approach it's an uphill climb. And touring the old Arab Quarter (Albacian) also involves a lot of climbing but well worth the effort for the spectacular views of the Alhambra and the snow capped Sierra Nevada mountains and all the interesting sights you will come upon along the way.
More Reviews (34)
- Required reading
- See All Jardines del Triunfo (Gardens of...
- See All Anti-Bush
- See All Summer Palace
- See All Crepes and more
Dabs' Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Explore the World
- State of Tamil Nadu Hotels
- Uluwatu Hotels
- Red Rock Canyon State Park Hotels
- Belleair Beach Hotels
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 37 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Granada hotel reviews
- Room Mate Migueletes
- 396 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Tryp Albayzin
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Hotel Juan Miguel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Hotel Plaza Nueva
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Alhambra Palace Hotel Granada
- 395 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hostal Austria
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Oasis Backpackers' Hostel Granada
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Posada Pilar Del Toro
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Pension Landazuri
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- San Anton Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Hesperia Granada Hotel
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Apartamentos Vacacionales Real de Cartuja
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Alhambra- 212 Reviews, 407 Photos
- Alhambra - Nasrid Palaces- 145 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Albaicin- 73 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Alhambra - Generalife Gardens- 77 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Catedral de la Annunciacion- 53 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Alhambra - Alcazar- 34 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Mirador de San Nicolas- 16 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Alcaiceria - Zoco- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Sacromonte- 13 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Alhambra - Carlos V Palace- 41 Reviews, 79 Photos
See All Granada Things to Do