"Granada" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by Dabs

Granada Travel Guide: 2,040 reviews and 5,159 photos

My 1st visit to Granada was in 1998 on one of those organized bus tours from the Costa del Sol, even back then tickets to the Nasrid Palace section of the Alhambra were hard to come by if you didn't book in advance and you simply can't miss this part of the Alhambra should you find yourself in Granada. I regretted not being able to spend more time in Granada back in 1998, there's definitely more than just the Alhambra!

So when my "husband" Kat and I were planning our trip to Marbella for the big VT meeting, we decided to spend a couple of nights in Granada so that we could have a relaxed visit to this fabulous old Moorish city that sits in the shadow of the snow capped Sierra Nevada mountains. The time we spent in Granada was probably my favorite time on this trip, we saw a lot and walked a lot but we gave ourselves enough time so that we could leisurely enjoy a breakfast of churro y chocolate at an outdoor cafe each morning, had plenty of time to shop for gifts and trinkets, and could relax in the evening with a glass of sangria and some Spanish food.

My advice, if you can spare the time in a country filled with fabulous places to visit, is to spend at least 2 full days in Granada and see more than just the Alhambra which in itself takes about a 1/2 day. I really enjoyed walking through the Old Arab district, visiting the Cathedral and Royal Chapel, poking through the shops in and around Plaza Bib Rambla.

• Pros:The Alhambra, history, churros y chocolate and free tapas!
  • Cons:Someone got lost in a shrubbery maze :-(
  • In a nutshell:You won't regret spending a couple of days here!
  • Last visit to Granada: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Nice tips from your visits to Granada in 1998 and 2006. When I was in Granada I was the only tourist in the Alhambra – had the whole place to myself. But that was fifty years ago on a very rainy day in January.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Apr 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The only place I've been before tourists "discovered" it was the Soviet Union. I'm sure there were a few other tourists but you wouldn't have known it! Thanks for the look at my page :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I would have enjoyed my stay there I am sure... Great place!....

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Hi Kristi. Enjoyed reading your page here :o) And thanks for the tips. We are looking forward to visiting after the big Paris meet this year yea! :o) Cheers, Ann.

• Apr 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM

i've only skimmed your comments, and am anxious to read them at length-will have only 2 days in grenada next week. thanks for your page!

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 4:39 AM

beatiful pictures..thanks for sharing

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 3:36 PM

The Alahambra and gardens look wonderful and enjoyable. Great job of presenting the town to us.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Thanks for helpfull Granada Page.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

We are just in Granada, so your tips come in quite handy! We do have tickets for tomorrow to visit the Alhambra, so we are all set and all excited!

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for the tips, Dabs. Looking forward to my trip to Granada.

• Mar 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM

oh la la was diabolical. sent back a microwaved bean stew untouched, looked old and smelt disgusting. Expected us to pay and were very aggresive. Found most retuarants in this square didnt care if you returned as there is always another sucker

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Granada

Have you been to Granada?

Latest Activity in Granada