Riga Region Transportation Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination
Riga Region Transportation: 25 reviews and 14 photos
Longer haul bus tickets are sold at the Eurolines office although I think I saw a few people buying on the bus. It's probably best to reserve ahead in the summer months if you can.
The fare from Riga to Vilnius was 7 lv, 14 lv round trip. No extra charge for luggage.
The buses were reasonably comfortable and the bus made one stop in each direction for a bathroom/snack break. The entire journey was around 4 1/2 hours.
The bus goes through passport control and a guard comes on board. US passports are stamped so they do take them from you.
Although I'm sure there are some perfectly good reasons why one might take public transportation in Riga, I found that I enjoyed walking around looking at the architecture and parks and found no need to figure out the buses or trams.
Old Riga is very walkable, there are few cars in the city center as entry by car required a pass of some sort.
Bus stop sign
We used buses to get to Sigulda and Rundale Palace (via Bauska). The central bus station has boards with schedules listing the time of departure and time of arrival. Make sure you are not getting on a slower bus that makes all of the stops if you are in a hurry.
Tickets can be purchased at the ticket window or on the bus, if you are not sure exactly where you are going, it's not a bad idea to use the ticket window. It's also helpful if you have exact change or smaller bills.
Buses are extremely cheap and seemed to be always on time, the most we paid was 1.2 lv.
When you are catching a return bus, make sure you are standing at a sign looking like the one in the attached picture.
We got in later in the evening a couple of times and didn't feel unsafe in the area around the bus station or walking back to our hotel. As always though, keep your valuables somewhere safe.
Normally we try to use public transportation but we were coming in late so we arranged through our hotel for a taxi (I think it was actually staff of the hotel) for 8 lv. It was nice after a long day of traveling to have a car waiting for you.
The taxi ride to the airport was quick, around 20 minutes.
More Reviews (59)
- See All How long should you stay?
- See All Music festival
- See All Three Brothers-the elder
- See All Riga Castle-changing of the guard
- See All Inside the Central Market
Dabs' Related Pages
Riga Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riga-a well kept secret"
- "Riga is a small Paris"
- "My Home Town"
- "vairab's new Riga Page"
- "My country Latvia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga Region
- Hotels in Riga Region
- Transportation in Riga Region
- Nightlife in Riga Region
- Restaurants in Riga Region
- Shopping in Riga Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga Region
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puerto Peñasco
- Ban Samae San Hotels
- Buruanga Hotels
- Hammam Sousse Hotels
- Hills Point Hotels
Badges & Stats in Riga Region
- 63 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Riga Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga Region
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues