"Riga-a well kept secret" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region by Dabs
Riga Region Travel Guide: 2,197 reviews and 5,687 photos
When I made my travel plans to visit Riga and Vilnius, reactions from friends and family ranged from "where the heck is that?" to "why would you want to go there?"
Riga, located near the Baltic Sea, is the capital city of Latvia, a former Soviet Republic that didn't remind me at all of the Soviet Union or Soviet attitudes. With the exception of a building that reminded me of one of Stalin's seven sisters and some of the housing developments away from the center of the city, the architecture seems free of Soviet influence.
One of the main reasons I wanted to visit Riga was to see some of the Art Nouveau architecture, there are some truly stunning examples located mainly outside Old Riga. The most impressive example is the Stockholm School of Economics located at Strelnieku iela 4a. It is quite hard not to look like a tourist and quite easy to develop neck strain as you are constantly looking up to see the fabulous detail on the buildings.
Old Riga is also a delight, cobbled stone streets wind past churches, more interesting architecture and town hall square. My must see tips are mostly from Old Riga, presented in the order you will encounter them.
Separating Old Riga from New Riga is the old defensive moat known as the city canal and a ring of well maintained parks.
With the exception of our hotel, I found Riga to be extremely affordable. Local bus travel was incredibly cheap and you could easily have heaps of food for $5-$10.
Tourism hasn't hit high gear here, although we did see some tour buses, most attractions and sights were delightfully (for us anyway) free of tourists. We were there a little bit before tourist season started, the weather was on the cool side but very pleasant traveling weather.
- Pros:Great food, fabulous architecture, inexpensive
- Cons:None that I can think of
- In a nutshell:A real undiscovered budget gem
We happened upon this music festival in one of the parks. more travel advice
A little better shot of the younger two siblings more travel advice
- See All Traveling around Riga
- See All How long should you stay?
- See All Riga Castle-changing of the guard
- See All Inside the Central Market
Dabs' Related Pages
Riga Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riga-a well kept secret"
- "Riga is a small Paris"
- "My Home Town"
- "vairab's new Riga Page"
- "My country Latvia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga Region
- Hotels in Riga Region
- Transportation in Riga Region
- Nightlife in Riga Region
- Restaurants in Riga Region
- Shopping in Riga Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga Region
- 63 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Riga Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga Region
- Posted in Travel United Kingdom Forum "Re: Late June trip to London and???"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sculpture outside St. Peter's"
- updated a Riga Region Travelogue "Art Nouveau architecture"
- Wrote a Review Traveling around Riga in Riga Region Transportation
- Commented on one of in4ik's Riga Region travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues