"Geiranger" Geiranger by Dabs

Geiranger Travel Guide: 168 reviews and 488 photos

Geiranger was the 3rd stop on our Cunard cruise through Norway. I had originally signed up for a kayaking trip through Cunard but then found we could do it on our own and then found a trip that sounded more interesting up to Mt. Dalsnibba. We were able to find an independent excursion to Mt. Dalsnibba for 250NOK ($42US), the same trip was $72US on Cunard and appeared to be roughly the same trip without a snack stop. I had reserved in advance before I left home but you can wait until you get there as it wasn't fully booked and we would have had plenty of time to get to their offices.

The tiny town of Geiranger, population around 300, is located at the end of the Geirangerfjord. A short bus ride away and you can get a good view from above at Flydalsvulet, a common stop on most bus trips.

• Last visit to Geiranger: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2012

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Was the scenery amazing? Disney just came out with their summer 2015 itineraries and there are a couple of really good ones.... It's a tough choice between going further north in Norway or doing some Norway, going to Iceland (3 days) and the Faroe Islands....

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM

It was slightly more appealing than the hot dog wagon ;-)

• Apr 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

reluctantly, we eat at McDonald's in Scandinavia as well and it is because of the cost effectiveness to feed hungry kids! I will be in Stavanger for a week with my 13 year old while my husband is at a conference. Would you please share some contact information for the excursions? I would love to go to Geiranger either by boat or by bus, and maybe Mt. Dalsnibba. Too expensive to rent a car in Norway (more than double the cost of Skania,where we will be arriving from). Thank you!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Love the scenery, especially the waterfalls, but I was surprised to see it so bleak and snowy in July

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM

It's not very cold here, for January (about 7 C today) but it won't stop raining!

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I think cold rain is just about the worst weather you can have, yuck!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Nice photos and interesting write-ups of your cruise!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

So glad I found your page because we are/were considering a cruise from the Netherlands to Norway!! All of your tips are extremely useful and your photos are great. Curious just how big of a discount you got by waiting to book your cruise!

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I think it was billed as 2 for 1 fares which on Cunard comes out to be comparable to the other lines such as Royal Caribbean and Princess. Hope you find a lovely cruise, Cunard was a little too fancy for us but if you like elegance, it might be a good line for you!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Love the snow at the mountaintop - looks like my kind of destination!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

I enjoyed your page Kristi. We were here August 1st in 2011. I found it interesting seeing the difference of weather between your holiday and ours, only one week apart, but a different year. I wonder if this year was much colder than last year.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I'd like to see the fjords and waterfalls of Norway some day - very scenic and unspoilt. Great write ups of your experiences!
    We finally opted for Dominican Republic as #71. Not sure whether it'll be feasible to make Haiti #72, but I'll be reading up to see if it's a possibility. It seems a shame not to when it's sooooooo close! ;-)

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Geiranger

Have you been to Geiranger?

Latest Activity in Geiranger