"Chantilly" Top 5 Page for this destination Chantilly by Dabs

Chantilly Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 156 photos

I didn't see any Chantilly lace or eat any Chantilly cream while in Chantilly but we did visit the Chateau de Chantilly. We got there a little later in the day than I had planned as we made a diversion to see the Chateau de Pierrefonds which ended up being closed, I didn't read the fine print that said it was closed on Mondays starting in September. Then there was the diversion because of roadwork and what seemed like a short diversion turned into a couple of hours.

Of the Chateau we saw on this trip and the previous trip in July, Chantilly, Vaux le Vicomte, Versailles and Fontainebleau, I thought Chantilly would have been the one I would have cut if I had to make a choice. The exterior is perhaps one of the most lovely in France but the gardens at all of the others were more impressive and the interior visit was the one with the least access. The draw for many people may be the equestrian activities but we were there too late in the day to see anything besides the gardens and the chateau.

The chateau, which is actually two separate chateuax joined with a common entrance, is the fifth located on this site. The Grand Chateau dates from the 19th century and the Petit Chateau dates from the 16th century. The chateau is closed on Tuesdays and we were there on Monday which is why we didn't save the chateau visit until the next morning.

• Last visit to Chantilly: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Kristi, lovely little page about Chantilly here. I must admit that France has never really been in the focus of my trips and therefore I haven't heard about Chantilly before.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I was amazed at how many Classic American cars there were in Holguin! As you say, they would surely fetch some serious money from American buyers!
    Great start on your Chantilly page...and I definitely saw mention of pizza discreetly slipped into your hotel review! ;-)
    Number 65 was booked last night...Ukraine at Easter! I will re-read your Kiev tips before then! :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Great to see you got to ride a sheep, even if the chateau was not quite as interesting as some others ;-) I was intrigued by the stiry of Vatel - I just hope no one expects that of me when I serve food late as I would be riddled with holes by now!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Chantilly

Have you been to Chantilly?

Latest Activity in Chantilly