"Evian is Naive spelled backwards" Top 5 Page for this destination Évian-les-Bains by Dabs

Évian-les-Bains Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 109 photos

Evian was an unscheduled stop on our recent trip to Switzerland, we were sitting in Geneva after a lovely cruise on the lake and pulled out the map to see what was nearby. As we scanned the shores of Lake Geneva, we contemplated going into Lausanne but then saw the medieval city of Yvoire on the French shore and a little further along Evian which, of course, we recognized as the "original" bottled water to hit American stores, back before Pepsi and others tried to scam us all with pictures of mountains on their bottles while the fine print said bottled from municipal sources.

I don't drink a lot of bottled water except when I travel to places where the drinking water might not agree with me. I hate gassy mineral water, you'll see me at the supermarket shaking the bottles if I can't read the labels to make sure it's without gas. Plus living near Lake Michigan we have some of the best drinking water coming right out of our kitchen tap. Still, even if Evian really is mountain spring water, it's hard to get past the fact that Evian spelled backwards is Naive...

From my short stay, I gathered that Evian is a resort town with typical resort activities plus known for it's spa. I don't know that I would have wanted to spend more than a few hours here although it might have been interesting to see the bottled water plant or maybe even pop in for a good spa soak!

• Pros:A nice relaxing few hour stop
  • Last visit to Évian-les-Bains: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2014 at 3:32 AM

I'm not sure I would go out of my way to visit this town, but I love your title of this page: "Evian is Naive spelled backwards."

• high_d's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Very very belated bday greets Kristi! I've been away from VT for a while...school's back on...Wishing you lots of fun travels...enjoy!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Évian-les-Bains looks like quite a picturesque spot from your Intro photos, well worth a short stop. I agree with you regarding bottled water - I now refill our old used bottles from the kitchen tap and take them with me in the car or on bicycle trips!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 2:50 AM

Maybe I'm naivé but I always drink bottled water in France. Not sure if the tap water there is safe. Or maybe the company has brainwashed everyone!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Cheese fix and pizza fix..something I also need frequently. Great restaurant tip [even though the food was OK]. Great to be able to choose a place nearby and check it out. Love the bottled water remark in intro!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Évian-les-Bains

Have you been to Évian-les-Bains?

Latest Activity in Évian-les-Bains