"Fontainebleau" Top 5 Page for this destination Fontainebleau by Dabs

Fontainebleau Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 350 photos

Every time I've been to Paris I've left with Fontainebleau on my list of places I'd like to see the next time I go to Paris along with Vaux le Vicomte and Chartres so I finally planned a driving trip so I could see all of them without the expense, both monetary and time, that such day trips require. We based ourselves out of nearby Melun, less than 10 minutes from Vaux le Vicomte, 20 minutes to Fontainebleau and also close to Blandy and Moiret sur Loing which we also visited on this trip

The reason to visit Fontainebleau is the chateau, which dates to the 16th century when Francois I was king of France and Henry VIII was king of England. Subsequent monarchs including Louis XIV added to the chateau but it was developed into the chateau you see now by Napoleon. After seeing Fontainebleau and having recently visited Versailles, Vaux le Vicomte and Chantilly, I'd still say that Versailles is the one palace that people should see if they can only choose one. But Fontainebleau is definitely worth the trip whether from Paris on a daytrip or as a stop as you are passing through by car.

• Last visit to Fontainebleau: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2011

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Thanks for sharing, I'm thinking about it next year. Also, hope you had a lovely birthday and all the best in your future travels. Cheers, Ian

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Wow! Stunning Chateau, and nice photo's! Good that you could take photo's of the inside, so many I wasn't allowed to. We found Ibis Hotels's quite ok too, only use them to sleep in.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Like you I have always intended to visit Fontainebleau - and unlike you I still haven't made it! The interior looks sumptuous and I did smile at the dog fountain ;-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM

It looks absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing your adventures!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Fontainebleau

Have you been to Fontainebleau?

Latest Activity in Fontainebleau