"Panama City" Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City by Dabs
Panamá City Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 1,018 photos
"Well, we haven't been there" was the inspiration for this trip and even after having been to the city I still don't really have a good feel where everything is since we spent most of our time on daytrips outside the capital city.
The area we stayed in, Bella Vista (or is it Cangrejo?), seemed to be thrown together, the streets running every which way, the sidewalks never seeming to meet, construction projects everywhere including the project to install Panama City's first metro line. Traffic clogs the streets that are unable to handle the flow, diablo buses with people hanging out of them, empty city buses running behind them. There seems to have been a recent influx of cash into Panama City, when we asked where it's coming from the typical response was drug money/money laundering and that most of the development was slapped together without a lot of thought about longevity.
We spent our three full days doing daytrips outside of Panama City, one day out to Lake Gatun and the Panama Canal, one day by train to the Caribbean coast to see the historic town of Portobelo and spend the remainder of the day at the beach at Isla Grande and the 3rd day a canoe ride along with Rio Chagres to visit one of the Embera Indian villages.
On our fourth day we finally spent a little time in Panama City, the old section of Casco Viejo and a drive along the Amador Causeway. We missed a few things that I wished we had time for, the Miraflores locks is on the top of the list and Ancon hill which is supposed to have good wildlife viewing.
We headed over to the Amador Causeway on Sunday afternoon after visiting Casco Viejo and before heading to the airport... more travel advice
Panama is not really a beach vacation kind of place, Panama City is on the Pacific side of the country, Colon is on the... more travel advice
- See All Movie featuring Panama
- Packing for Panama City
- Local crafts
- See All Giving the Colonel a run for his money
Dabs' Related Pages
Panamá City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's Carnaval time"
- "Panama City"
- "Panama City"
- "LA CIUDAD DE PANAMA"
- "Panama City - a city of contrasts"
- "KUNA INDIANS ON AVENIDA CENTRAL"
- "PANAMA CITY - COUNTERPOINTS IN THE TROPICS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panamá City
- Hotels in Panamá City
- Transportation in Panamá City
- Nightlife in Panamá City
- Restaurants in Panamá City
- Shopping in Panamá City
- Warnings and Dangers in Panamá City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panamá City
- 26 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Panamá City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panamá City
Photos in Panamá CitySee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 260 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 183 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues