"Mo Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Montego Bay by Dabs

Montego Bay Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 466 photos

For most travelers to Jamaica, Montego Bay is the city you will fly into although you can also fly into Kingston. We have stayed in Montego Bay four times at the Sunset Beach Resort, an "affordable" all inclusive at the end of Montego Bay.

Ask most people where you should stay in Jamaica, including me, and most will say Negril which has nicer beaches and a longer beach area that you can walk. There are also a lot more options for hotels, both all inclusive and non all inclusive, in Negril. The 1st time we visited Jamaica, there wasn't a good road connecting Mo Bay to Negril and the trip took several hours, now Negril is just a little over an hour's drive and they are working on the road to Ocho Rios.

So why do we keep coming back, you ask?

My husband likes Sunset Beach, says it has everything he needs. A beach, three pools, decent food, reasonably comfortable beds and it's so close to the airport, you land and within a 1/2 hour you are on the beach. Me? I like the beach better in Negril but you can't beat the price at Sunset Beach and it's an easy vacation to plan, no researching restaurants or accomodations. I keep thinking that the next time we go, we'll try an non all inclusive...

Even if you do stay at an all inclusive, you really should go off the resort for at least a day to see the surrounding countryside. The resort offers a variety of daytrips or you can hire a private guide like we did on previous trips.

• Pros:Close to the airport, more affordable lodging
  • Cons:Beaches not as nice as Negril
  • Last visit to Montego Bay: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2010

Travelogues (1)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM

It's always a pleasure to read your travel stories, Kristi! Thanks! ><><><><

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Nice page! Very comprehensive. Very practical & useful tips. Nice to see information on an AI resort for a change instead of a $10 per night hostel.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Lots of updates, Kristi, and they are very comprehensive and helpful. Excellent list of what to take. Resort facilities sound great. Kayaking photo of you & David was good.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Some wonderful tips you've posted here. The coca nut sipping picture is cute! Look like you all were really enjoying it! Nice page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Excellent updates Kristi - had me longing for another dose of Jamaican sunshine myself :-)

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Good Tips!!! All inclusive sounds good... however I will forever be hungover after too many cocktails... lol...

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Thanks for the useful tips, esp. about bringing aqua shoes. They will come in handy when we go to Punta Cana in two weeks.

• Mechellex7's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Thank you Dabs for your advice it has made me look even more forward to our trip in three weeks time. We are staying at the Sunset too. I was a bit worried with the mixed reviews I have read. Thanks again.

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM

That river rafting looks a bit different then the one we do here... here we get wet. Cheers, Peter

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 6:52 PM

I stayed a week at an all inclusive in Jamaica a few years ago, but spent every single day taking trips around the island. Maybe one day I'll learn to relax on a trip.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Montego Bay

Have you been to Montego Bay?

Latest Activity in Montego Bay