"Vaux le Vicomte" Melun by Dabs

Melun Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 84 photos

Vaux le Vicomte was my favorite chateau on this trip, the history is just so delicious, the greedy Cardinal Marazin, his scheming flunky Colbert, the young impressionable King Louis XIV so consumed with jealousy that he had the wealthy Fouquet arrested at the chateau's housewarming party. Fouquet died in a French prison, the king enjoyed the beautiful chateau he built. The rural setting and meager crowds allow you to imagine just what it would have been like to own such a fabulous chateau and just how devilish all the King's men were to have wrested it from it's rightful owner. It's said that Vaux le Vicomte was the inspiration for Louis XIV to build Versailles.

Melun was a good base for exploration of the area southeast of Paris, from here it was 10 minutes to Vaux le Vicomte, 15 minutes to Blandy, 30 minutes to Fontainebleau and just a short way from there we also visited Moiret sur Loing. With an early start we were able to visit Vaux le Vicomte in the morning, have lunch in Melun, visit Fontainebleau in the afternoon and stop by Moiret sur Loing in the late afternoon. The next morning we drove to Blandy for a visit and then headed to Paris.

• Last visit to Melun: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2011

• gwened's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM

nice page on one of my old favorites, my wife is from the area,and we are friends of the castle. But see hquittner he notice , it is not in but Maincy a village town the property land was purchase. now VT have maincy in the list of towns.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Oct 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think I stuck it in Melun because we stayed there? Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to put things so anyone will see them! Loved this chateau :-)

• gwened's Profile Photo
      Oct 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

yes and vt don't have all in the right places either over time they have added more locations.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hi, Kristi!~ Thanks for your interesting narration and lovely photographs! I am sure I would have enjoyed my stay there too...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Great looking chateau and gardens with an interesting story!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Love this page, only wish I could go there! What an interesting, true story you found, felt sorry for the "real" owner when reading it! Great photo's too, especially of the Chateau and gardens!!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Hi Kristi, Got notice of yr Tip of the Day & glad I came to read it! I never visited Vaux-le-V, perhaps one day... but am interested in its place in history. A recent documentary on French tv rehabilitated Fouquet & brought Colbert further down in my esteem. I like to believe the doco is right :) Tks for this good page.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Melun