"Medieval town in the Ile de France" Moret-sur-Loing by Dabs
Moret-sur-Loing Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 70 photos
Finding ourselves with a little spare time after visiting the chateau at Fontainebleau, we picked up a guide to the area at the local tourism office and thought Moret-sur-Loing sounded interesting.
The charming medieval town sits on the banks of the Loing River, "sur-Loing" means on the Loing. The bridge, town gates and other remnants of the walls date to the middle ages when towns needed protection from invasion. During the Renaissance period Henri IV kept his mistress here in the keep, in 1664 the keep was turned into a prison and Nicolas Fouquet, the owner of the fabulous chateau at Vaux le Vicomte, was held here. He was escorted to Moret-sur-Loing by the musketeers including d'Artagnan who was made famous by Alexander Dumas in "The Three Musketeers".
Of course towns trying to draw in tourists will draw upon famous people to establish it's worthiness as a tourist destination, in 1815 Napoleon I was returning from exile on the island of Elba and stopped at a lodge opposite the town hall, there's a commemorative plaque on this building at 24 rue Grande, the main road between the two gates.
Impressionist painter Alfred Sisley had a real connection to the town, he lived here from 1889 until his death in 1899. There are several points of interest in connection to Sisley, a house where he lived, a museum and the cemetery where he is buried.
One of the things the tourism staff mentioned that we had to try was the famous barley sugar candies that are produced... more travel advice
Alfred Sisley spent the last 10 years of his life, from 1889-1899, in Moret Sur Loing. He died here from cancer in 1899,... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Moret-sur-Loing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval town in the Ile de France"
- "A Place to Stay in the Ile -de-France"
- "Une Stage en France"
- "Moret-sur-Loing, FR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moret-sur-Loing
- Hotels in Moret-sur-Loing
- Transportation in Moret-sur-Loing
- Restaurants in Moret-sur-Loing
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Moret-sur-Loing
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Moret-sur-Loing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moret-sur-Loing
Photos in Moret-sur-LoingSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 402 reviews, 584 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 248 reviews, 444 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 98 reviews, 171 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues