"The Antrim Coast and Giant's Causeway" Top 5 Page for this destination Antrim by Dabs
Antrim Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 393 photos
The highlight of this trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland was the two days that we spent driving the Antrim Coast and the visit to the Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland's biggest tourist draw. You could easily spend another day in the area if you stop and see everything but I thought 2 days was enough time for us. The Giant's Causeway is much more enjoyable in sunny weather (what isn't?) so try to give yourself a little cushion in your planning in case of inclement weather.
I booked hotels on either end of the Antrim Coast, the first night in Carrickfergus and the second night in Portrush which turned out to be a very good idea as the weather on the 1st day was so rainy and blustery that we postponed the Giant's Causeway until the following day when it was still rainy and blustery but also with sunny spells. Wait a few hours in Ireland and the entire weather system will change!
The Antrim coast starts just north of Carrickfergus near Larne, we more or less followed the route in Frommer's Best Loved Driving Tours, sticking to the coastal road A2 and after Cushendun we followed the scenic route to Torr Head which was very narrow. If you make stops along the way, it can take the better part of a day to get to the Giant's Causeway, we made stops in Glenarm and to see the ruins of the Layd Church near Cushendall
If you have plenty of time to visit the Giant's Causeway, you can walk along the clifftop over the Causeway coast for a... more travel advice
Just before reaching Ballycastle we made a short stop to visit the ruins of Bonamargy Friary, founded by the McQuillan... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Antrim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Antrim Coast and Giant's Causeway"
- "The Amazing County Antrim"
- "Antrim - One of Ireland's Most Precious Jewels"
- "Causeway Coast"
- "Antrim coast, Northern Ireland"
- "a day on north antrim coast"
- "COUNTY ANTRIM - FROM BELFAST TO BUSHMILLS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antrim
- Hotels in Antrim
- Transportation in Antrim
- Nightlife in Antrim
- Restaurants in Antrim
- Warnings and Dangers in Antrim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Antrim
- 17 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Antrim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antrim
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 402 reviews, 584 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 248 reviews, 444 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 98 reviews, 171 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues