"Come see the world with me" Dabs's Profile

Caribbean cruise January 10-17, 2014

For the fifth year in a row, we've started the year off with a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean, we normally sail on Princess but their itineraries weren't good this year so we chose Royal Caribbean sailing from San Juan with a day pre cruise and stopping in Tortola, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica and Barbados. We had beautiful weather and found great excursions in all of the ports

Most recent pages and when they were completed:
Monaco (October 2012),Geiranger, Olden, Norway(August 2012), Panama City (April 2012), Isla de Roatan, Cozumel update, Fort Lauderdale, Belize, Grand Cayman (January 2012), Moret-sur-Loing, Melun, Windsor UK update, Paris update, Versailles update (Nov 2011)

Where have we been in 2014 and where are we off to next?

January 10-17, 2014 cruise from San Juan with stops in Tortola, St. Kitts, St.Maarten/St. Martin, Dominica and Barbados
April 2014-taking a friend to London
August 2014-"I'm turning @$%# birthday trip" to Edinburgh, England and Wales, I'm checking Lyme Park, Chatsworth and Highclere (aka Downton Abbey) off my bucket list!

Belgium, France and England September, 2013

We've taken a similar trip to this a couple of time previously, it's obviously one of my favorite areas of the world. We flew into Brussels, drove to Gent, hubby swam in Bruges, Lille for the Grand Braderie, then to Strasbourg, Nancy, Metz, Verdun in the Alsace-Lorraine area of France before taking the train from Brussels to London for yet another swim in Bray Lake near Windsor.

Istanbul, Sarajevo,Belgrade-July 2013

My husband had talked about doing the swim from Europe to Asia for several years, July isn't the optimal time to head to Istanbul, it's extremely hot that time of year but it was a good time to do a swim. From Istanbul we flew to Sarajevo, the surprise of the trip as it's the place I most enjoyed and then onto Belgrade which I must admit is not one of my favorite cities in Europe

London, Paris and Brussels May-June 2013

I had been talking about taking my niece Katie to Europe for at least a decade, an art student, Paris seemed to be a logical choice for a 1st visit and then London got added on and then Brussels as a day trip from Paris.

Negril, Jamaica April 2013

We hadn't been to Negril in a while, Montego Bay makes so much more sense for a short spring visit since it's so close to the airport. But I wanted a little change of scenery so we went back to the Grand Lido on Bloody Bay which had changed hands and was now changing hands again.

You meet the best people on VT

Some of the people I've met on VT have become some of my closest friends in "real" life, I've been blessed to find Kat (keida84) who's become one of my best travel buddies, we've tackled Toronto and Chicago in 2005, London, Spain, California, Orlando and Chicago in 2006, Los Angeles twice, Maui, Windsor and Chicago in 2007 and London again in January 2008!

I'm also blessed to have met the dynamic duo from Windsor, Hansi (waalewiener) and Lori (LoriPori), who spread joy and sunshine at every VT meeting I've been to with them, Toronto, London, Marbella, Baltimore, Portsmouth and more personal visits to both of our hometowns.

Pierogi Fest July 26-28, 2013, see you next year!

Pierogi Fest
When I'm not busy trying to persuade people to visit Chicago, I'm trying to persuade people to come to Pierogi Fest in Whiting, IN held the last full weekend in July. Every year the Babushka Ladies march in the polka parade on Friday and have some kind of merchandise, whether it be a calendar, Christmas cards, refrigerator magnets and a rootbeer label. Who knows what we'll have in store for you in 2013!!! Oprah even endorses it (and she gets presidents elected!!!), listed as one of the 7 best food festivals in the US.

Since 2003, various VTers have come to the Fest and in 2005 I had my first VT parade participant, sambarnett donned a delightful floral housedress and marched with me in the parade as a babushka lady, in 2006, Hansi (Waalewiener) and Ethan (coair19) were the two loveliest babushka ladies in the history of the Fest. But I think Hansi, decked out in a lovely red lace dress, may have been enjoying himself just a little too much! For some more pics, see my travelogue on my Whiting, IN page, Hansi's Whiting page and Lori's Hammond page.

CHICAGO

I joined VT to take advantage of local folks giving help with local stuff, who knows a city better than the locals? So I started amassing my now huge Chicago page, which is updated regularly, to share information about this marvelous city that I have lived in and around since I was 8 and found as I was developing it, I was actually learning a few things! And best of all, I've made virtual friends along the way some who have become real friends, many of which have visited me in Chicago! So if you are coming to Chicago, drop me a line, I'm always happy to answer questions about Chicago or play tour guide to folks from out of town.

OK I confess....
I actually live in Hammond, Indiana, just minutes from the Chicago border. But tell people you live in Indiana and they automatically think you live in a cornfield and spend your mornings feeding the chickens and milking the cows (just ask fellow VTer rmdw)! That assumption couldn't be further from the truth, NW Indiana is surrounded by industry and development is pushing further and further south.

• Intro Updated Feb 18, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Dabs's Profile Photo

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Real Name