"A place in the middle of no where" Namibia by Waxbag

Namibia Travel Guide: 2,150 reviews and 6,270 photos

The Namib Desert

Namibia is a country with vast deserts that role right to the sea. It is one of the dryest places in the world yet it is a place of unbelievable beauty and perhaps on of the most picturesque places i have ever been. My friends and family think that the picture i took here beat all of my others.

Namib-Nauklfut National Park

Even though the Skeleton Coast of Namibia brings to mind endless stretches of sand where nothing lives and death is the only certainty for grounded ships and their crew, its cold waters are bursting with marine life. The Artic Benguela Current is plankton rich attracting mackerel, anchovies, and pilchards which in turn bring cape fur seals, sharks, and a plethora of bird life as well.

Cape Cross is one of the largest and best know of the seal colonies. It contains thousands and thousands of seals that are practically on top of each other there is so many. Even in the water you can see them floating, frolicking, and fighting to use a poor onamonapea. The site is quite spectacular and so is the smell.

Mom and the Fish River Canyon

Here is a shot of me and my spectacular mom on the rim of the Fish River Canyon. If you have a cool mom like me who is adventerous enough to go to a place in the middle of no where like Namibia then your lucky. My mom is the greatest!

Etosha National Park, Namibia's Premier Park

Etosha is one of the largest game parks in Africa covering an area of 22,270 sq km. The central landmark here is the Etosha Pan. Covering nearly 5000 sq km, the pan is vast salt plain, remnant of a large inland lake. The pan is mostly dry but occasionally floods bringing thousands of flamingos and white pelicans. The surrounding limestone formations create a reservoir that supply the pan and various water holes with water to support the huge numbers of plant life and wildlife. Most of the vegetation grows around the surrounding pan in the limestone ground. Sweet grass and umbrella-thorn acacias provide the greatest source for browsers and grazers. The park boasts 114 species of mammal including black-faced impala, black rhino, mountain zebra, and brown hyena.

Etosha National Park

• Pros:beautiful deserts, world class game parks, another world competely
  • Cons:no public access to desirable locations
  • In a nutshell:Visiting here feels like visiting another planet
  • Last visit to Namibia: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2007

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Thanks- great info, tips and pictures. Brought back good memories of a trip we made here some years ago.Especially loved Fish River Canyon and desert dunes in Namibia.. Good camping tips.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Hi, Thanks for great tips and pics. I can't wait to get there in November!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Namibia is amazine, guys...we loved our visit in '03. Very nice page, fine photos.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Thank you for the very welcome campground info and the quality of the photos. Good narrative too. It will be a bit before we are there but your tips go into the planning.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 5:05 AM

beautiful page & stunning photos, Donna (Acirfa) has recently visited here but even though I lived in SA all my life before coming to the UK I've flown into Namibia 4 times but never explored there - thanks for sharing

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 11:28 AM

I have the same sand dune on my Namib page. I climbed it and rode it down. One of the best days of my life.... CHEERS!

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 12:34 PM

Nice Namibia pic- Its on my list of places to go!

• marcoparco's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2005 at 7:32 PM

I agree, you definetly know how to work that camera! Great page! I especially like your picture Dune 45 at Sunrise!!! Cheers!

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Great Pages man, thanx for the tipz. They could be useful someday. Greetings from Belgium

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 6:41 AM

I agree! Very informative & interesting page. Your photos are fantastic. Your home page is equally fascinating!

Waxbag

“Home is Where You Hang Your Pack.”

Badges & Stats in Namibia

Have you been to Namibia?