"Vallodolid, Yucatan Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Valladolid by Waxbag
Valladolid Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 283 photos
Valladolid is a miniature Merida. It is a nice small colonial town with a slow paced life. It has a nice park, Parque Francisco Canton Rosado, that is typical to the Yucatan; broad, well manicured, and full of people and vendors. It has some nice eateries, bakeries and shops around the park. There are some nice churches in town including San Bernardino and Convento de Sisal which were constructed in 1552 as a church and fortress.
The accommodation is here is quite good. One of my favorite hostels that I have ever experienced is here, Albergue la Candelaria. It is a beautiful hostel with open gardens and nice, clean facilities.
The town is also in an excellent location to visit the nearby caves or cenotes like Cenote Dzitnup and Cenote Samula. This really should not be missed. They are a most unusual site and are worth seeing. There is also a nice cenote right in the middle of town called Cenote Zaci, but it isn’t nearly as impressive as the first two mentioned. Valladolid is also close to Chichen Itza. By colectivo, it is only about 45 minutes or 40 kms away. It is best to get to Chichen Itza early before it gets too hot and all of the tourist show up from Cancun.
One of my favorite sites in Mexico that is definately off the beaten path are Cenotes Dzitnup and Cenote Samula. These caves have pools in them with a small opening above to let light beams light up the blue pools below. It is really quite neat. You can hire a bike in Valladolid and discover these caves and the rest of Valladolid in a day.
- Pros:Small Laid Back Town with Many Exploring Opportunities
- Cons:Let Me Know When You Find a Con!
- In a nutshell:A Small Laidback Merida with Great Facilites and a Good Base for Exploring
This structure is one of the oldest in the Yucatan contructed in 1552. It really looks like a fortress and was built to... more travel advice
Valladolid is a great base to explore the surrounding villages and Mayan ruins. Chichen Itza and Coba are very close.... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Valladolid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vallodolid, Yucatan Mexico"
- "VALLADOLID - SPANISH BEGINNINGS IN THE YUCATAN"
- "Colonial Charm Without the Crowds"
- "Classic Colonial City - and Tons of Charm!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valladolid
- Hotels in Valladolid
- Transportation in Valladolid
- Restaurants in Valladolid
- Shopping in Valladolid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valladolid
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Valladolid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valladolid
Photos in ValladolidSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues