"The Garden of Eden, Ngorongoro Crater" Ngorongoro by Waxbag
Ngorongoro Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 484 photos
World famous Ngorongoro Crater is a natural phenomenon. The crater is 20 km wide and 300 meters deep. It was formed after a volcano, which was believed to be taller than Kilimanjaro, collapsed millions of years ago. It contains one of the densest concentrations of wildlife in the world. There are huge herds of wildebeest and zebra and large numbers of gazelles. These herds support a variety of predators including lion, cheetah, leopard, hyena, and serval. Predators are usually extremely difficult to see but are clear as day in the flat treeless expanse of the crater. We had the fantastic opportunity to see a cheetah stalk some gazelle. It never made an attack, but such behavior is rarely seen by tourist. It is really dry this time of year and the opposite rim is obscured by the dust and blends seamlessly into the sky. The whole crater is a dustbowl and even the lake is nothing but a white salt flat.
- Pros:Incredible mix of geographical and wildlife wonders
- Cons:Really expensive and time consuming
Waxbag's Related Pages
Ngorongoro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ngorongoro Conservation Area"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - oh, oh, oh!"
- "A Garden of Eden?"
- "Ngorongoro - Open Air Zoo"
- "A huge crater"
- "The Ngorongoro Crater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ngorongoro
- Hotels in Ngorongoro
- Transportation in Ngorongoro
- Restaurants in Ngorongoro
- Warnings and Dangers in Ngorongoro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ngorongoro
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Ngorongoro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ngorongoro
Photos in NgorongoroSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Ngorongoro hotel reviews
- Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge
- 385 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013