"Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park" Kalahari Gemsbok National Park by Waxbag
Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 148 photos
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, also known by Kalahari Gemsbok Park, covers an area of 2,369,000 acres / 960,000 ha situated on the Northern peninsula of South Africa between Namibia and Botswana. There are three main rest camps and two main roads that go right up the Auob and Nossob Rivers where most of the game can be spotted due to bore holes that provide water. All roads are gravel or dirt roads.
This is South Africa?s second premier park and is now getting a lot more press and attention. It is very popular during school holidays so book ahead during January and February and during the three week holiday in July
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is the middle of the Kalahari Desert. It has sparse vegetation and most of the water is found in the dry riverbeds of the Auob and Nossob Rivers. This is a fantastic park to find predators and to see large herbivores that constantly search for water and sweet grasses. Lion, leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena, brown hyena, honey badger, black back jackal and bat-eared fox are some of the predators you may find here. Springbok, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, steenbok are common and eland and giraffe uncommon. Ground squirrel and suricates (meerkats) are prevalent. There are no larger game here such as buffalo, elephant or rhino, but the amazing landscapes and the better opportunity of spotting predators make up for that lacking.
Buy a ?Wild? Card and Save Money
The Wild Card program has been recently introduced in the South African National Park system to make the parks more affordable for those making multiple entries. The card has a small computer chip in it that stores and process information. South African residence may buy a card specific to one region or ?clusters?. For instance the Bushveld Cluster would include Golden Gate, Kruger, Mapungubwe, and Marakele National Parks. International tourist pay the same no matter what. The price is good for one year no matter how many parks or how many times you visit.
For all parks South African Residence pay R195 for individual, R335 for a couple, and R440 for a Family.
For International tourist the card is R795 for individual, R1395 for a couple, and R1795 for a family.
Other benefits like 5% cash back on accommodation, car rental, refreshments, etc. may also be available with the card.
Kruger and Kgalagadi Parks costs R120 a day per person. Other parks are less expensive, but if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the South African national Parks, absolutely get the card.
- Pros:Very Wild Feel About This Park, Animals are Easy to See
- Cons:Middle of Nowhere, Only three camps, Difficult Driving
- In a nutshell:Underated Park That is Difficult to Get To But Well Worth It
This is South Africa?s second premier park and is now getting a lot more press and attention. It is very popular during... more travel advice
Kori Bustards are another bird that is common in Kgalagadi. These birds are enormous. They are the heaviest flying birds... more travel advice
- Bring Plenty of Blankets or Freeze!
- How to get to Kgalagadi
- See All Buy an International Wild Card
Waxbag's Related Pages
Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cold desert"
- "Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park"
- "The Kalahari - Barren land with many treasures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- Hotels in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- Transportation in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- Restaurants in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- Shopping in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- 23 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Kalahari Gemsbok National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park
- updated a Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Travel Page "Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park"
- Posted in Travel Masai Mara Game Reserve Forum "Re: Rainy seasons"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Book In Advance During School Holidays"
- Wrote a Review Book In Advance During School Holidays in Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of MikeAtSea's Kalahari Gemsbok National Park travel pages
Photos in Kalahari Gemsbok National ParkSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues