"Mkhuze, A photographers Dream" Mkuze Game Reserve by Waxbag
Mkuze Game Reserve Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 71 photos
Mkuze is apart of the Kwazulu-Natal Park system and is located about 100 km North of Mtubatuba off of the N12. It is about 50 km South of the Swaziland boarder. It is really an extention of the St. Lucia Greater Wetlands park. Animals are free to move into both areas. Here you kind find wildlife in a beautiful landscape. The best part about the reserves in Kwazulu-Natal are the game hides. They are the best in South Africa and quite possibly the best in Africa (Quite a daring statement I know).
There are no lion or buffalow in the park. However, leopard and hyena are here as well as elephant (which are now in the northern part of the park and can be difficult to spot). This is a great place for birders. The varied terraine, the shallow lake system as well as the location makes Mkuze a great place for resident and migratory birds.
The Kumasinga Hide here is one of the most amazing hides I have ever seen. You can sit by the hours and watch the animals. No driving! It's great, it really is.
St. Lucia Village makes a good base for visiting Mkhuze. There is plenty of accomodation and a good food store for stocking up. St. Lucia Resort is also a great base for exploring other great parks in the region like Cape Vidal, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, and St. Lucia Game Reserve.
Lake St. Lucia
Mkhuze Game Reserve
Umfolozi Game Reserve
Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Pros:Excellent Hides, Great Bird Watching, Quiet and Untouristy
- Cons:Predators are Hard to Come By
- In a nutshell:A Photograhers Dream, The Animals Come To You
There is only one campground in Mkhuze. It has all the expected facilities. There are showers and bathtubs and good... more travel advice
There are about 35 elephants in Mkuze. They all use to be in the south of the park and very difficult to see. Well they... more travel advice
Written Aug 28, 2007
What you may see at the Kumasinga Hide
Written Aug 28, 2007
Birds of Mkuze
Waxbag's Related Pages
Mkuze Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE DIVERSITY OF MKUZI"
- "Mkuzi Game Reserve, the last park we visited."
- "Mkhuze, A photographers Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Hotels in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Transportation in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Mkuze Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mkuze Game Reserve
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Mkuze Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mkuze Game Reserve
Photos in Mkuze Game ReserveSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues