"Etosha 1999" Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park by Waxbag
Etosha National Park Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 539 photos
Etosha is one of the largest game parks in Africa covering an area of 22,270 sq km. The central landmark here is the Etosha Pan. Covering nearly 5000 sq km, the pan is vast salt plain, remnant of a large inland lake. The pan is mostly dry but occasionally floods bringing thousands of flamingos and white pelicans. The surrounding limestone formations create a reservoir that supply the pan and various water holes with water to support the huge numbers of plant life and wildlife. Most of the vegetation grows around the surrounding pan in the limestone ground. Sweet grass and umbrella-thorn acacias provide the greatest source for browsers and grazers. The park boasts 114 species of mammal including black-faced impala, black rhino, mountain zebra, and brown hyena.
Personal Mammal Sightings:
Personal Bird Sightings:
pale chanting goshawk
spotted eagle owl
- Pros:One of the Great Game Reserves In Africa
There are really only two options for visiting the park and Namibia in general. One option is to hire a car which is... more travel advice
On my second day in Etosha my tour group and I nearly got hit by a speeding truck full of locals who work in the park.... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Etosha National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Etosha - Wildlife Hotspot"
- "Etosha National Park"
- "Lush. Wild. Free."
- "Etosha 1999"
- "A place of wonder"
- "Etosha -Natures dry paradise for animals"
- "The beauty of nature in its wild state"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Etosha National Park
- Hotels in Etosha National Park
- Transportation in Etosha National Park
- Nightlife in Etosha National Park
- Restaurants in Etosha National Park
- Shopping in Etosha National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Etosha National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Etosha National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Etosha National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Etosha National Park
- updated a Etosha National Park Travelogue "Animals of Ethosha"
- Posted in Travel Masai Mara Game Reserve Forum "Re: Rainy seasons"
- Commented on one of Sininen's Etosha National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Namibian Explorer with African Routes in Etosha National Park Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Namibian Explorer with African Routes"
Photos in Etosha National ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues