"Mozambique to Get Away From It All" Top 5 Page for this destination L. Vilanculos by Waxbag
L. Vilanculos Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 56 photos
Little known Mozambique was pullling itself out of a 20 year civil war when i was there in 1999. European and South African companies were involved in removing landminds and repairing the roads and communications. I travelled through the Tete region from Malawi's Blantyre and headed down to Vilanculos, a sleepy fishing village waiting to be discovered. The Bazaruto Archepeligo is right off shore with unbelievable snorkelling and diving opportunities. There is very little motor traffic and the only sailing vessels are the old arabic sailing dowls. The tides here are very dramatic and the water is constantly changing colors due to changing water depth and the light as the day passes. This place is one of my favorite beach spots because the ambiance is truly amazing. There were no classy resorts or any upscale restaurants or eateries. I pitched my tent on a sand dune in the back of a locals yard. Brillant!
Life here has not changed in 100 years, except for the new market opened by some enterprising indians. For the traveller this simple fishing villages offers a no-hastle, relaxing atmosphere which requires very little effort to enjoy and appreciate.
- Pros:Pristine Beach with Incredible Ambiance
- Cons:Sure to Become Over-run with Tourists Soon
There is not much here in the way of facilities, however, the ambiance makes up for it and much much more. There are two... more travel advice
It is possible to hire a boat from Vilanculos to the Bazaruto islands. You can stay on the islands which has very little... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
L. Vilanculos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Have some dirty fun!"
- "Gateway to Bazaruto"
- "Mozambique to Get Away From It All"
- "Vilanculos - the closest city to our campsite"
- "South African playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in L. Vilanculos
- Hotels in L. Vilanculos
- Transportation in L. Vilanculos
- Restaurants in L. Vilanculos
- Warnings and Dangers in L. Vilanculos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in L. Vilanculos
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to L. Vilanculos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in L. Vilanculos
Photos in L. VilanculosSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues