"Fez" Fes al Bali by Waxbag
Fes al Bali Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 103 photos
There is a city in North Africa where time seems to be suspended, where the gates are a corridor to ancient realm. It is the largest living Islamic medieval city and the biggest car-free urban zone on the planet, It is the spiritual and cultural center of Morocco and home to perhaps the oldest university in the world.
One of the best experiences we had in Fez was our Riad Laaroussa. This is a gorgeous 17th century palace immaculately restored with impeccable service.
Little has changed the footprint of Fez over the past 800 years except electricity and tourists. And perhaps satellite TV whose dishes compete with the minarets and birds for dominance of the city’s skies. The craftsman ship of the city's numerous mosques and madersas is impressive. The intricate zellij tile, stucco work, and ceder carved screens and lintels is remarkable.
9000 streets and alleyways make up the ancient medina whose windy passages lead to a myriad of covered souks, craft workshops, food stalls, and mosques, all coursing with an endless procession of people. Foot is the only way to get around and goods are transported to and from the souks by mule or horse.
See the video documentary of Fez called Fez
- Pros:Amazing medieval Arabic city
- Cons:Intimidating for some, breath taking for most
- In a nutshell:The most impressive medieval Arabic city on the Earth
Ancient craftsmanship still thrives in Fez. The city’s souks have specialized craft zones where Maalems, or master... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Fes al Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fes Medinas"
- "Fes is just amazing and beats Marrakech hands down"
- "What I liked in Fes"
- "FEZ : the most imperial city"
- "Fes where two worlds come together"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fes al Bali
- Hotels in Fes al Bali
- Transportation in Fes al Bali
- Nightlife in Fes al Bali
- Restaurants in Fes al Bali
- Shopping in Fes al Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Fes al Bali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fes al Bali
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Fes al Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fes al Bali
Photos in Fes al BaliSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues