"Port Cambell and the Great Ocean Road" Port Campbell by Waxbag
Port Campbell Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 490 photos
The Great Ocean Road follows one of the planets most dramatic coastlines. Formed by billions of tiny sea creatures 20 million years ago, the limestone coast is constantly evolving from the ravages of time, and the elements of wind, rain, and the unrelenting onslaught of waves whose power has been generated from the winds off the icy Southern Ocean (sometimes reaching heights of 30m!). The result of the eroding, dissolving, smashing, and tunneling is a geological masterpiece that runs 400km. Among the highlights are the Bay of Islands, London Bridge (half of which has fallen), the Grotto, and the famous Twelve Apostles. The incredible Loch Ard Gorge is named for a ship that ran into the cliffs in a fog some 150 years ago. Most of the coast is a graveyard for literally hundreds of ships and their unfortunate crews with nothing left but an occasional rusted anchor stranded on an isolated beach.
The charming little fishing village of Port Cambell, population 200, is right in the middle of the most spectacular section of the Great Ocean Road. It is about 8km from Loch Ard Gorge, 15km to the Twelve Apostles, 4km from the Arch, 15km to London Bridge and the Grotto, and about 20km to the Bay of Islands. There is a slew of accommodation including B & Bs, farms stays, retreats, cottages, backpackers, and a cabin and caravan park. The restaurant options are good and include pub grub, Italian pizza and pasta, a trendy seafood joint, a bakery, as well as others. Don’t be in a hurry to leave Port Cambell as there is plenty of things to do and see around the area.
- Pros:Stunning section of the Great Ocean Road, a must see in Auz
This is a classic example of the erosional forces of sink holes. The Grotto was created when multiple pools wore away... more travel advice
This little wonder is minor compared to nearby London Bridge or Loch Ard Gorge’s magnificent arches, but, it’s a nice... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Port Campbell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Stop Along the Great Ocean Road"
- "Exploring the Great Ocean Road"
- "IMPREXXION: PORT CAMPBELL"
- "Port Campbell - Gateway to GOR and the South Coast"
- "Port Campbell and the 12 Apostles"
- "Once upon the Great Ocean Road"
- "Port Campbell Ntl Park and the Great Ocean Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Campbell
- Hotels in Port Campbell
- Transportation in Port Campbell
- Restaurants in Port Campbell
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Campbell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Campbell
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Port Campbell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Campbell
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues