"Cafayate, For the Wine and Colorful Canyons" Top 5 Page for this destination Cafayate by Waxbag
Cafayate Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 161 photos
Cafayate is a charming little town with about a dozen bodegas all within walking distance and is a great base to explore one of the most beautiful canyons in the country. Bodega Etchart and Bodega La Banda are good wineries to get a tour and to sample wine, but there are many other good ones around that do tours. Cafayate is known for its white wines that are grown from a Spanish grape. However, I think merlots are much better.
The Quebrada de Cafayate is the name of the stunning canyon. The years of rain erosion have exposed many layers of sedimentary strata in the quebrada, making it technicolored landscape. The wind has also made its mark here and many interesting structure stand like in a Dr. Sues book. The locals have names for all these formations like El Sapo (the toad), El Obelisco (the obelisk), and Los Castillos (the castles) to name a few. There is also a Garganta del Diablo (they love this name) here, which is an interesting canyon. The town is about 150 kms south of Salta and about a 4 hour bus ride. There is plenty of accommodation here, some good markets, and excellent restaurants.
The Garganta del Diablo is a good place to begin your exploration of the Quebrada. You can hire a bike in Cafayate and take the bus towards Salta, getting off here at the Garganta. It's all down hill to Cafayate and you can explore other intresting rock formations.
Having a guided tour is another way to go. These guys now exactly where to take you as it is not always clear where the best formation may be hiding off the road. It is not expensive, especially if you have a group to go with.
- Pros:Sleepy Little Wine Town, Excellent Base to Explore the Quebrada
- Cons:Little Nightlife, Quiet, Peaceful (sound like "Pro's to me)
Although smaller this bodega does not lack any charm. Bodega La Banda grows all its own wine, processes the grapes,... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Cafayate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A town of Bodegas"
- "Cafayate : the Far-West of Argentina"
- "Cafayate, For the Wine and Colorful Canyons"
- "Quebrada de Cafayate"
- "Salta's Vineyard..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cafayate
- Hotels in Cafayate
- Transportation in Cafayate
- Restaurants in Cafayate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cafayate
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Cafayate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cafayate
Photos in CafayateSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues