"Fitz Roy in the Winter" Fitz Roy by Waxbag
Fitz Roy Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 156 photos
The Fitz Roy Range is one of the most fantastical of mountain ranges in the world. It is one of the most magestic and omnious mountain range I have ever seen. It is part of the northern end of the Parque Nacional Los Glaciares and one of the best places in South America for trekking and mountain climbing. Behind the range is the continental ice shelf that is the third largest in the world.
El Chalten is the small town from which you can base all of your walks and climbs. It has good accomodation and basic supplies for your stay. The town is easily accessible by bus from El Calafate.
There are no entrance fees to the park here like in the south to see the Perito Morino Glacier.
This is the view you get from the bus to El Chalten from El Calafate. The approach to El Chalten is magnificent.
Check out the video at The Fitzroy
Cerro Torre looks like something out of Lord of the Rings. This place has beauty that cannot be described but can only be experienced. There are many good trails in the park. Most are well marked.
Condors are absolutely everywhere here. Maybe the were just all following me hoping I would fall and they would have an easy lunch. The floral and fauna here is unique and fairly abundant given the harshness of the terrain and weather. You may also see woodpeckers, rhea, guanaco, and green parots.
- Pros:Stunning Scenery, Excellent Trails, Plentiful & Cheap Accomodation
- Cons:Many People During the Tourist Season
- In a nutshell:Outrageously Gourgeous! Fantstic Hiking! Unreal! Pristine!
Spacious, modern, and clean hostel Four beds to a room Private rooms available Shared bathroom and showers but very... more travel advice
There are some very basic camping areas here in the Fit Roy. Most have pit toilets and nature provides all the clean... more travel advice
Waxbag's Related Pages
Fitz Roy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Chaltén - Home of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre"
- "The most beautiful place in Argentina"
- "Photo Journal of The Fitz Roy Range Los Glaciers"
- "I can reach highest mountains..."
- "FITZ ROY"
- "Mountains & autumn foliage in El Chalten Argentina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fitz Roy
- Hotels in Fitz Roy
- Transportation in Fitz Roy
- Nightlife in Fitz Roy
- Restaurants in Fitz Roy
- Warnings and Dangers in Fitz Roy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fitz Roy
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Fitz Roy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fitz Roy
Photos in Fitz RoySee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues