"The Great Zimbabwe, Masvingo" Masvingo Province by Waxbag
Masvingo Province Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 28 photos
The Great Zimbabwe is sub-Saharan Africa’s greatest ancient monument. It was the seat of a wealthy and advanced people called the Shona who greatly influenced an enormous area around them. There were an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 people who lived here.
The most interesting part of the structure are the huge mortarless walls that stand 11 m (35 feet) high and are up to 5 m (33 feet) thick and the large conical structure inside the walls that was thought to either store grain or was a ceremonial structure.
For an unknown reason the entire city was abandoned in the14 th or 15th century possibly due to over consumption of local natural resources.
The site is full of interesting plants such as the candelabra tree and may have some vervet monkeys climbing around. You can see everything from the fortress on the hill and the walls of the Great Zimbabwe all in half of a day. Camping is available close to the site.
Waxbag's Related Pages
Masvingo Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Safari day 2"
- "Great Zimbabwe Monument Photo Gallery"
- "The Zimbabwe Ruins - A Must See"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Masvingo Province
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Masvingo Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masvingo Province
Photos in Masvingo ProvinceSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 11 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kalahari Gemsbok National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Saint Lucia Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues