"The State of Queensland" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland by unravelau

State of Queensland Travel Guide: 8,382 reviews and 21,161 photos

The Theme Park Capital of Australia?

Seaworld dolphins jumping for joy last week. (Monday 12.1.04).

What an incredible show. Coffs Harbour has a great show of dolphins too, but not of the same magnitude of this one at sea world.

Tunnelling North to Queensland

From Coffs Harbour (New South Wales) to the Gold Coast of Queensland takes approximately 5 hours by car.... probably a bit longer by bus and maybe a bit longer by car with young children. By various other transports......i.e. plane to Brisbane and car/bus back to the Gold Coast could take almost as long as just driving North. It is really interesting because not only does the road maintenance (and appearance) change, but also the vegetation seems to me to be totally different. Certainly the crops grown change. From mostly bananas and avacados to sugar, pineapples and other more tropical fruits. But the naturally occurring vegetation is different too. Hard to explain really. The minute that you hit the border between NSW and Qld the road surface changes from tar to cement........the roads are wider......the speed limit is increased (that's a bit ambiguous)....I mean that your upper limit speed changes from 100 kms p h., to 110 kms p h and although I prefer NSW to live in, Queenslands roads (at this time) are seeming to be in better knick, at least to the upper reaches of where I travelled last week.

One son had a holiday accommodation booked and at the last moment, my daughter in law was unable to go which left my son in the predicament of managing my three grandchildren by himself. So they asked if I would fill the breach..........Granny on the go.

UPDATE: 10th October 2006
Granny still on the go. Have just returned from another trip up north with my other son and his family. The grand-daughters, eagerly anticipating a trip to dreamworld with Mum, Dad and Grandma, kept me laughing the whole trip, all of the time there and on the homeward journey as well...yeah! Given that Grandma's a bit of a dreamer, it seemed quite fitting that Dreamworld was the destination.

I would have liked to have had more time to look around more but another northward journey is in the offing and I will 'do' more places then. Dreamworld photos and tips will be coming over the next few days.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile man

died September 4th, 2006 as the result of an underwater accident. He will be sorely missed. A barb from a stingray is what caused his death. Far better a stingray than one of his beloved crocodiles.

A week on and I would ask that people join me in celebrating his life. He was such a joyful character. His zoo radiates with his personality I think. I can remember my visit there as being a very happy experience just knowing that 'he' believed in what he was doing and did it with a passion and love.

• Pros:Choc - a - block full of theme parks and fun things to do
  • Cons:choc - a - block full of theme parks
  • In a nutshell:Great for a family holiday but I don't want to live there.
  • Last visit to State of Queensland: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2007

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 2:55 PM

This looks so beautiful! Our trip isn't until 2010 but I'm already starting to plan! :)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Thanks for waking up souvenirs Carole; I drove a campervan from Cairns to Brisbane somewhen in 1995; I do not remember that many crocs (haha). Nice to look at Queensland again.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Great pix of the grandkids playing shuttlecock matey! That game is fun :o) Well looks like you all had a great holiday. Cheers, Ann :o)

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 3:30 PM

How about choc - olate!! Talking my language! Nice page Carole.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Looking forward to visit Queensland in two weeks! Nice tips!

• Sep 4, 2006 at 3:59 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with Terri and the children as they cope with the loss of their loved one. He will be missed by all who enjoyed his programs.

• Sep 4, 2006 at 9:19 AM

I didn't visit this beautiful zoo, but just heard that Steve Irwin was killed. I hope to God that this is not true. But if it is true........Steve would not blame the animal and blessings go to his family and loved ones.....including the animals.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 5:43 PM

Queensland is only a state of mind.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Hi Carole! Thanks for your page on Queensland, a New Zealander mentioned it to me and I didn't know where it was... now I do, thks to you!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 12:00 AM

Ah Queensland, 'Beautiful one day, perfect the next'. Your page picks it up well, Carole - enjoyable but hot. Have to agree with your thought that the roads are better too!

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Badges & Stats in State of Queensland

Have you been to State of Queensland?

Latest Activity in State of Queensland