"Being in Australia in Oceania" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania by unravelau
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide: 68,147 reviews and 173,561 photos
Home and heart.
Many people on this site have travelled more widely within those countries that I have visited and indeed to far more countries. At times I don't even feel like I am an expert on Australia either, but I definitely have more knowledge of here than of anywhere else.
So, what is living in Australia really like? It still feels fairly free, although different Governments exert different pressures. I guess that is the same anywhere you go though. The air can be fresh and clean still, but becoming less so in the cities mainly due to motor vehicle and industry pollution. We really only have moderate measures in place to protect our environment , being so far away from 'the rest of the world' let's us think that maybe what we do here only effects us. Fresh drinking water is a scarce commodity here. I believe that we are among the least watered continents, despite being surrounded by water. I often think that disposing of 'the old water tank' was perhaps a big mistake. I was even surprised to learn over the weekend that 'we' even limit farming properties in the number and size of dams that they can have?
UPDATE: 24/6/08 (One day past my six year membership here and we are again experiencing change in the land of Oz) I am pleased to report that people of Australia are now being actively encouraged to purchase subsidized water tanks to help ease our water shortage problems. I am sure that more innovative ideas will surface as the race to sustain our land and population becomes the priority of our government. Thank goodness.
UPDATE: Listening to a farmer talking at a seminar on our lack of water a day or so ago (3/3/07), I was reminded of how our behaviour has an impact on our precious water. He made reference to the fact that before the river reaches the sea, farmers and other inland livers, seek to conserve the water by various means. When it gets down to the sea and city, we let it flow away.....it doesn't dilute the salt of the ocean.
UPDATE: 24/6/08 Last weekend an announcement was made about the status of the Murray River.....it was declared to be dead!!!! C'mon Aussie c'mon, c'mon...let's get together and breathe new life in.
We welcome visitors, in fact we pay quite a lot of attention to tourism, and treat it as a growth industry. We have lots to see of a natural nature.......just about anywhere here, i.e. no matter where you go you will find something of interest and more often than not more than one thing. We also encourage 'play' with resorts and theme parks in abundance.
Australia - Is where I was born and choose to live.
Fiji - Is a country with plenty of charm. I visited it once long ago and plan to revisit again one day.
Kiribati - A place for me to explore
Marshall Islands - Another that I would like to visit one day
Micronesia - Another treat in store
Nauru - I would love to visit here too
New Zealand - is on my list for another visit in the near future
Palau - One day I will also visit here.
Papua New Guinea - And here
Samoa - Here
Solomon Islands - and here too.
Tonga - I had a brief look here many years ago too....am due for an update
Tuvalu - I must visit here too.
Vanuatu - A second visit would be good here too.
WONDERFUL INFORMATION just to hand....well a couple of days ago I was impressed to learn of this. The Australian Government has produced a National Public Toilet Map website......www.toiletmap.gov.au Quoting from the information leaflet.....'this helpful site shows the location of over 15000 toilet facilities across Australia.....' It goes on to say that the toilet locations can also be accessed from your mobile phone for the cost of a standard call. AND the toilet map also offers trip-planning functions, downloading of GPS coordinates and large maps with a zoom function. Well it looks as though you will never be short of a loo when you are here.....wish Italy had the same.
Australia is unique in many ways. Not only is it the largest island, (and the smallest continent) but it also has many animals and plants native to it alone.
The banksia is one of Australia's native plants, as is the waratah.
New Zealand boasts the Kiwi as one native animal. this country's treasure, from this beautiful part of the world.
All photographs in this album are taken by me Unravelau (aka Carole R) unless otherwise stated. Please browse, read and enjoy my pages but please do not take my photos away without permission. Thank you so much for your visit.
- Pros:The weather and climate plus the friendliness of the people. makes Australia a great destination.
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:Great place to live and a wonderful place to visit.
Hi there, most of the responses here covered everything that I would say too with the exception of one. I would narrow... more travel advice
So near and yet so far. The city of Sydney seems to be a long way off from here and while the city is busy looking,... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NO DOUBT, AUSTRALIA IS A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- "Aboriginal Australia"
- "Cruising on a Queues Ship"
- "olja1234's new Australia-Oceania Page"
- "Welcome to Australia and Oceania!"
- "under reconstruction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia and Oceania
- Hotels in Australia and Oceania
- Transportation in Australia and Oceania
- Nightlife in Australia and Oceania
- Restaurants in Australia and Oceania
- Shopping in Australia and Oceania
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia and Oceania
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia and Oceania
- 331 Reviews
- 656 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Australia and Oceania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia and Oceania
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Intelligent Voice-Activated..."
- Commented on one of unravelau's Australia and Oceania tips
- updated a Australia and Oceania Travel Page "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Amazing sunrises down under"
- Wrote a Review Honeymoon in Oz - what could be better? in Australia and Oceania Favorites
Photos in Australia and OceaniaSee All Photos (656)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues