"Formia as a destination" Formia by unravelau
Formia Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 67 photos
On the Appian way are a number of towns that gently show their history while getting about their business.
Formia is a thriving city of industrious and happy people content to include tourists in their everyday lives in a friendly way. It is another place that has some reminders of a few very famous people who either lived here semi permanently or holidayed here regularly, as a break from their duties in Rome. Cicero (Cicerone) was one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formia ..... is one google result for Formia's history.
Formia is situated on the Appian Way and has its full share of ancient Roman Sites to boast of its past. It is a pretty unassuming place really and only recently did it start advertising its wares (as it were). It is a holiday area but the tourists always seem to blend into the Formian way of life. It travels at medium speed i.e. not as fast as Rome but not as slow as Coffs Harbour (although there are similarities between the two). They have a wonderful passagiata (unsure of spelling forgive me), and a great array of shops spread over a number of city blocks in both directions. I guess the most popular icon to identify Formia would be what they call the Mola, and it is on the lower section of the town, next to the sea.
Formia has lots of history to investigate, a museum with some interesting statues and coins of a past era, and it also provides a connection (by sea) to Ponza, Ventotene and other islands nearby.
- Pros:Its friendly and unassuming nature
- Cons:Don't know of any
- In a nutshell:It is the focal point of mid Lazio. All trains (well most anyway), stop at Formia. Busses go to lots of different places from Formia, and it has the sea links to Ponza and other islands. No, no airport that I know of.
The Mola of Formia and Mt Redentore standing to attention and heralding the entry to Formia. more travel advice
a festival, be sure to check the time of the last bus and indeed where it might leave from, because they often by pass... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Formia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Formia, South Lazio"
- "The Land of my ancestors"
- "CASTELLONORATO, A SUBURB OF FORMIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Formia
- Hotels in Formia
- Transportation in Formia
- Restaurants in Formia
- Shopping in Formia
- Warnings and Dangers in Formia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Formia
- 24 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Formia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Formia
Photos in FormiaSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues