Gaeta Things to Do Tips by unravelau Top 5 Page for this destination
Gaeta Things to Do: 22 reviews and 53 photos
Serapo Beach as seen from Mt. Orlando, Gaeta.
Serapo Beach is quite magnificent and if walking up Mount Orlando (down is easier), there are many opportunities to take a snap of it.
Address: Below Mount Orlando, Gaeta.
Inside one of the four cells of Planco's Mausoleum
I have yet to figure out or be told of the significance of these modern (?) statues. At first I thought of the three wise monkeys but I don't know. They were occupying one of the four cells of Munazio Planco's Mausoleum.
Directions: Walk or bus up to the top of Mount Orlando and go inside the mausoleum.
S Erasmo, the Duomo of Gaeta.
A lovely old Church that can be viewed from many angles.
Address: Older section of Gaeta.
Directions: If on foot just follow the road alongside the bay until you would have to turn away........glance right into a little side street and you should see the tower.
The other more up market statues photographed within the mausoleum in 1998 weren't there (that I remember) in 2001 when this latest picture of Planco was taken.
A fine figure of a man with an unhappy face.
Address: Mount Orlando, Gaeta, Lazio.
Directions: Either bus, car or walk up to the top of Mount Orlando for this sight.
Serapo to Orlando
When on Serapo beach, Gaeta, you can see old castles embedded in the mountain, the Church that marks the entry to Split Mountain and the Grotto. All of this while either lazing on the beach or swimming in the Ocean.
Address: Northern side of Mount Orlando
Directions: Most busses from the town centre go to or past Serapo Beach.
The Mausoleum of Sempronius Atratinus.
Once you've seen Planco's mausoleum, said to be the best preserved of all in Italy, it is time to see the Atratinus one.
If I understood correctly, this mausoleum was open to the public for the jubilee year (2000) for the last time. It is said to be too dangerous now and so its inside information has been transferred to Planco's mausoleum.....(see travelogue).
Address: Atratinus Hill, Gaeta, Lazio.
Directions: Veer right off the end of via Cavour Gaeta, which is a right hand turn off the main seaside road................a major turn (wide road) before the ancient section of Gaeta.
Other Contact: A search brings up more sites.
Munazio Planco's Mausoleum
Well, the mausoleum dominates the view or rather is visible from as far away as Formia and with binoculars probably Scauri as well. It features in many photos of the Gulf of Gaeta in most books that talk about the History. It is also famous for the fact that it has managed to retain its outer covering where so many monuments have failed..........it has become among the best preserved of the Mausoleums in Italy.
Address: On top of Mount Orlando, Gaeta.
Directions: Entry to the park may be gained from the Medieval end of Gaeta.
More Reviews (11)
unravelau's Related Pages
Gaeta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples"
- "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- "Gaeta, the Italian beach resort"
- "Gaeta & The Love of my Life"
- "SUMMER TIME IN GAETA"
- "Gaeta in South Lazio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaeta
- Hotels in Gaeta
- Transportation in Gaeta
- Nightlife in Gaeta
- Restaurants in Gaeta
- Shopping in Gaeta
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaeta
- See All...
Explore the World
- Shtoj i Ri Hotels
- Bhayandar Hotels
- Kampung Kuala Terla Hotels
- Holetown Hotels
- São José dos Campos
Badges & Stats in Gaeta
- 18 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Gaeta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaeta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- Commented on one of unravelau's Gaeta travel pages
- updated a Gaeta Travel Page "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beautiful Castle of Gaeta from another angle."
- Wrote a Review Leisure and pleasure on the water in Gaeta Sports & Outdoors
Photos in GaetaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (180)
Latest Gaeta hotel reviews