"Gaeta and two Mausoleums" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta by unravelau
Gaeta Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 331 photos
Will be popping in to check it out again next year.
The castles...........the upper one .....Arogonese and the lower Angevin.
The upper part has a rectangular shape and cylindrical tower in 3 of its angles.........one tower is now missing.
The lower part has an irregular shape and the angles of its two sides are located toward the medieval quarter and Mt. Orlando.........It has cone shaped towers.
They originated in the ducal period of the 10th century and had developments over many hundreds of years. New towers were build by Carlo V (1516-38)
To see more of my tips and photos on Gaeta, go to my Lazio page.
Mount Orlando, Gaeta boasts the mausoleum of Munazio Planco, a consul of Rome at the time of Caesar. His mausoleum is in a very good state of repair and sits on probably the highest point of Mount Orlando. Great views from the top here of the Gulf of Gaeta, Split Mountain and Serapo Beach. A bus runs from the base of the mountain (a bar there) during peak season. A small sum pays for the both ways trip ........it will stop and pick you up from any point on the return journey. Quite a pleasant walk.
Sempronius Atratinus' mausoleum has not been as lucky. Perched on Atratinus hill, its marble has since been removed and is said to adorn the Duomo (S Erasmo) in town. Sempronius' mausoleum was open during the Jubilee year but not in 2001.
Gaeta has many churches dotted around the town, many still hold services on a regular basis. A largish church (S Francesco) which smiles down on the harbour up until 1998 was a popular place for weddings, but by 2001 this situation has changed. I believe that it holds one mass only per week now. Beautiful church falling into disrepair.
Another icon that holds a prominent position on the skyline at Gaeta is the famous Castle (or should that be two Castles?)
Looking toward Serapo Beach - a magnificent view.
Serapo is one of three beaches in Gaeta that gained a blue flag for 2002. I guess in Australia it is what we would call environmentally friendly and clean.......nice swimming.
- Pros:Very pretty, largish town with quite a history.
- Cons:Didn't find any.
- In a nutshell:Well worth the visit for a day or a complete holiday. Plenty to see and do.
It never ceased to amaze me the sizes of sea going craft, the number and type of cruising that could be done on the Gulf... more travel advice
Serapo Beach is quite magnificent and if walking up Mount Orlando (down is easier), there are many opportunities to take... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Gaeta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaeta--Hidden Jewel Between Rome & Naples"
- "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- "Gaeta, the Italian beach resort"
- "Gaeta & The Love of my Life"
- "SUMMER TIME IN GAETA"
- "Gaeta in South Lazio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaeta
- Hotels in Gaeta
- Transportation in Gaeta
- Nightlife in Gaeta
- Restaurants in Gaeta
- Shopping in Gaeta
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaeta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaeta
- 18 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Gaeta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaeta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Search and rescue effort..."
- Commented on one of unravelau's Gaeta travel pages
- updated a Gaeta Travel Page "Gaeta and two Mausoleums"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beautiful Castle of Gaeta from another angle."
- Wrote a Review Leisure and pleasure on the water in Gaeta Sports & Outdoors
Photos in GaetaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues