"Sperlonga, a place to get in touch with yourself" Sperlonga by unravelau
Sperlonga Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 73 photos
On the last visit to Sperlonga in 2001, I went specifically to get up close and personal with a monument called Truglia. I had seen it from afar down the road a bit, while I was investigating Tiberius' s cave. The 'on the mountain' part of the township seemed to have the access to this unique structure (from a distance that is). Sperlonga township has this intricate network of laneways nooks and crannies that seem to be leading you in the right direction but then lead you up the garden path and you find yourself looking at something else of interest. Anyway eventually a route to the monument was found but I couldn't find out anything about it. Plenty of photo's later, deciding on yet another cuppa, I got ahead of myself and fell flat on my face. Was it Sperlonga's way of saying I have got you and now you cant get away. Well spiritually that is the case.
To see more of my Sperlonga tips and photos visit also my Lazio page.
When I first saw the Truglia (in real life from Tiberius's cave), I thought that it looked like a monument to a dog, more precisely, a Scotch Terrier. Still not having much information about it, and finding some pamphlets outside, suggested to me that it might be some type of exhibition area for art, and/or a place to hold functions. When you are up close though while it appears really large on the outside it doesn't look as if it would hold many people inside. If anyone knows about it, I would really like to know more............it wasn't open when I was there.
This taken from near the top of the pathway to the upper township of Sperlonga.
A handy link of the official Sperlonga site:-
- Pros:Sperlonga has something to appeal to everybody, no matter what your taste
- Cons:The only thing might be that it is not on a trainline directly.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful place to visit, holiday or even live (but that's just me)
Every little side street in Sperlonga township have their own character. It is like walking into another township when... more travel advice
Moored here in Sperlonga. A new Vter, Amandacranny told me this morning that she and her boyfriend had viewed the... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Sperlonga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sperlonga, a place to get in touch with yourself"
- "What the doctor ordered"
- "Sperlonga, South Lazio"
- "summer on the beach"
- "s p e r l o n g a"
- "Seaside at Sperlonga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sperlonga
- Hotels in Sperlonga
- Transportation in Sperlonga
- Shopping in Sperlonga
- Warnings and Dangers in Sperlonga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sperlonga
- 13 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Sperlonga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sperlonga
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I miss Dumpymotel"
- Commented on one of domenicococozza's Sperlonga travel pages
- updated a Sperlonga Travel Page "Sperlonga, a place to get in touch with yourself"
- Wrote a Review Side streets take on their own identity. in Sperlonga Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Side streets take on their own identity."
Photos in SperlongaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues