"Sperlonga, a place to get in touch with yourself" Sperlonga by unravelau

Sperlonga Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 73 photos

My most favourite spot in Lazio

On the last visit to Sperlonga in 2001, I went specifically to get up close and personal with a monument called Truglia. I had seen it from afar down the road a bit, while I was investigating Tiberius' s cave. The 'on the mountain' part of the township seemed to have the access to this unique structure (from a distance that is). Sperlonga township has this intricate network of laneways nooks and crannies that seem to be leading you in the right direction but then lead you up the garden path and you find yourself looking at something else of interest. Anyway eventually a route to the monument was found but I couldn't find out anything about it. Plenty of photo's later, deciding on yet another cuppa, I got ahead of myself and fell flat on my face. Was it Sperlonga's way of saying I have got you and now you cant get away. Well spiritually that is the case.

To see more of my Sperlonga tips and photos visit also my Lazio page.

The Scotch Terrier

When I first saw the Truglia (in real life from Tiberius's cave), I thought that it looked like a monument to a dog, more precisely, a Scotch Terrier. Still not having much information about it, and finding some pamphlets outside, suggested to me that it might be some type of exhibition area for art, and/or a place to hold functions. When you are up close though while it appears really large on the outside it doesn't look as if it would hold many people inside. If anyone knows about it, I would really like to know more............it wasn't open when I was there.

Looking out over the Mediterranean

This taken from near the top of the pathway to the upper township of Sperlonga.

A handy link of the official Sperlonga site:-

• Pros:Sperlonga has something to appeal to everybody, no matter what your taste
  • Cons:The only thing might be that it is not on a trainline directly.
  • In a nutshell:Wonderful place to visit, holiday or even live (but that's just me)
  • Last visit to Sperlonga: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2006

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2011 at 5:21 AM

I really enjoyed in Sperlonga, a very charming village with gorgeous beaches with no crowds this time of year

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 9:39 AM

I not only learned about two places in Italy that I've never heard of, but I also increased my Italian vocabulary to 5 words: pizza, pasta, lasagna, Formia, and Sperlonga!

• Tetreus's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Isn't it a great place ? We also love to go to Sperlonga ! Janine and Andrea

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 4:10 AM

Looks a gorgeous little place Carole, there is so much to explore in Italy, I sympathise with you falling over, I am SO clumsy myself! lol. Lovely page, thanks (~_~)

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 2:26 AM

Nice pages Carole. Very good, sharp, crisp photos. Thank you for sharing them and your thoughts on Sperlonga. Happy Easter. Bill.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 5:22 AM

Thx for your Sperlonga pg - very interesting and at the top of my list now for our trip in August - thanks! ~ Jen ~

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 9:46 AM

This was unknown Sperlonga to me. I'm sure it's a great place to visit. Nice page Carole.

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 4:36 AM

I agree, the Truglia is an enchanting view, with the whole Meditarrenean @ its feet!

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2004 at 3:40 PM

The only good snake is a dead snake. Swhat I always say.....

• stickynickyuk's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 8:31 AM

Fantasic Pictures, Nice page.. I hope your havin a great day.

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Badges & Stats in Sperlonga

Have you been to Sperlonga?