"What an Adventure I had last weekend 15/16 Oct.05" Top 5 Page for this destination Ballina by unravelau
Ballina Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 194 photos
Ballina is a very popular and quite beautiful fishing and holiday place on the East Coast of New South Wales. Any time that I have travelled north from Coffs Harbour towards Queensland, I have passed through this lovely place. Heading north/west to Mullimbimby was something that I hadn't done in recent memory and further on to the Crystal Castle was a totally exhillerating and joyful experience for me. From this destination you can actually have a magnificent view to Byron Bay and the Ocean. All just lovely, but I am getting ahead of myself a bit.
Other of Ballina's claims to fame comes from another unusual icon - The Big Prawn (photo) and Ballina's Lighthouse built in 1879 has the distinction of being one of the oldest in the state. I haven't been to the lighthouse yet but in January 2004 I had a quick snack in a cafe nearby the big prawn. I must visit the inside of this too at some stage as it houses a gem and stone display as well..By the way one of Australians' favourite sayings, when they think that someone has gone a bit too far is........"don't come the raw prawn mate"......well, for your information this is not representing a raw prawn.........a raw prawn is green/grey in colour not pink. The pink comes with the cooking.
It is the most beautiful countryside you are ever likely to see. The final stretch of road is windy and hilly but quite beautiful and tarred all of the way. I didn't get out and take any photos until we arrived at our destination. It was raining a bit too much and I didn't have any protection for my camera. Anyway I risked a few shots when we arrived and as we were leaving too. I saved the labrynth walk until I was going home. (see more in things to do).
Our trip was sadly drawing to a close when we finally met up with Maggie's friend Elizabeth who lives at Ocean Shores. We were all surprised and pleased to accept her invitation to morning tea at her home which has the most outstanding ocean view from her wonderful verandah. She gave us a tour of the garden which borders yet another national park, and invited us to view the inside of her home which has a breathtaking array of nick-nacks, artistic pieces as well as many of her and other well known artists work all throughout her unique and multi-levelled home. I was just gazing out the master bedroom windows, looking at the sea and couldn't believe my eyes. I said, is that, it is...........just look here everyone.........gasps of delight as we all got in the swing of the dance and spray display of a pod of whales.........magnificent..........They played for about 1/4 hour as we watched.
- Pros:A beautiful holiday and fishing place on the coast
- Cons:A bit of a bottleneck where the highway is concerned
- In a nutshell:Lovely to visit, holiday and fish.
I most certainly would recommend this accommodation to others visiting the area because they went above and beyond the... more travel advice
I had never seen a labrynth up close and personal before and was intrigued to discover what makes it so special to... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Ballina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY AT BEACHSIDE BALLINA"
- "Ballina - not just on the Pacific Highway!"
- "What an Adventure I had last weekend 15/16 Oct.05"
- "BALLINA NORTHERN NEW SOUTH WALES"
- "Ballina and the Big Prawn"
- "Ballina, NSW"
- "Passing by"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballina
- Hotels in Ballina
- Restaurants in Ballina
- Shopping in Ballina
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballina
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ballina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballina
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: vikings gone soft?"
- Commented on one of aussiedoug's Ballina travel pages
- Wrote a Review If you can possibly get a first hand report -do it in Ballina Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ever had your aura photographed?"
- updated a Ballina Travel Page "What an Adventure I had last weekend 15/16 Oct.05"
Photos in BallinaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues