"What an Adventure I had last weekend 15/16 Oct.05" Top 5 Page for this destination Ballina by unravelau

Ballina Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 194 photos

Ballina and its surrounding villages.

Ballina is a very popular and quite beautiful fishing and holiday place on the East Coast of New South Wales. Any time that I have travelled north from Coffs Harbour towards Queensland, I have passed through this lovely place. Heading north/west to Mullimbimby was something that I hadn't done in recent memory and further on to the Crystal Castle was a totally exhillerating and joyful experience for me. From this destination you can actually have a magnificent view to Byron Bay and the Ocean. All just lovely, but I am getting ahead of myself a bit.

Other of Ballina's claims to fame comes from another unusual icon - The Big Prawn (photo) and Ballina's Lighthouse built in 1879 has the distinction of being one of the oldest in the state. I haven't been to the lighthouse yet but in January 2004 I had a quick snack in a cafe nearby the big prawn. I must visit the inside of this too at some stage as it houses a gem and stone display as well..By the way one of Australians' favourite sayings, when they think that someone has gone a bit too far is........"don't come the raw prawn mate"......well, for your information this is not representing a raw prawn.........a raw prawn is green/grey in colour not pink. The pink comes with the cooking.

The treck to Mullumbimby's Crystal Castle.

It is the most beautiful countryside you are ever likely to see. The final stretch of road is windy and hilly but quite beautiful and tarred all of the way. I didn't get out and take any photos until we arrived at our destination. It was raining a bit too much and I didn't have any protection for my camera. Anyway I risked a few shots when we arrived and as we were leaving too. I saved the labrynth walk until I was going home. (see more in things to do).

A pod of whales frollicking in the ocean

Our trip was sadly drawing to a close when we finally met up with Maggie's friend Elizabeth who lives at Ocean Shores. We were all surprised and pleased to accept her invitation to morning tea at her home which has the most outstanding ocean view from her wonderful verandah. She gave us a tour of the garden which borders yet another national park, and invited us to view the inside of her home which has a breathtaking array of nick-nacks, artistic pieces as well as many of her and other well known artists work all throughout her unique and multi-levelled home. I was just gazing out the master bedroom windows, looking at the sea and couldn't believe my eyes. I said, is that, it is...........just look here everyone.........gasps of delight as we all got in the swing of the dance and spray display of a pod of whales.........magnificent..........They played for about 1/4 hour as we watched.

• Pros:A beautiful holiday and fishing place on the coast
  • Cons:A bit of a bottleneck where the highway is concerned
  • In a nutshell:Lovely to visit, holiday and fish.
  • Last visit to Ballina: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2005

• melandaz's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I remember the big prawn from years ago!!

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 11:06 AM

wow, amazing what wide range of topics you pack into such a small VT-page: gigantic prawns, labyrinths, aura-pictures and makeshifts banquets, ... I wouldn't have wondered about some dancing camels or pink submarines, too :-)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 5:08 PM

An adventure for sure Carole. What an interesting bunch of tips & that external website is molto interessanto anche. I'll enjoy exploring it in more depth. Ciao la amica mia.

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Badges & Stats in Ballina

Have you been to Ballina?