"THE BELLINGEN JAZZ FESTIVAL happens every year" Bellingen by unravelau
Bellingen Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 72 photos
Bellingen is situated in the Bellingen Valley, North West of Sydney about 500 kilometres by road. To get there you can fly to Coffs Harbour (a bit over an hour from Sydney) and bus out to Bellingen (a further 35-40 minutes. If you drive from Sydney, you can take the coast road turning left off the highway at Raleigh (about 3 kms past Urunga. Bellingen is then about 12 or 13 kms away.
Thank you Laurie (Australia 2) for alerting me to the fact that I hadn't told anyone where Bellingen was.
One reason that Bellingen is interesting is because of the Jazz festival that is held
every year check this link for details, www.bellingenjazzfestival.com.au/ and the other is because of its beauty.
I lived in Bellingen for about 6 years a long time ago now. I gave birth to my three children in the hospital where the Sara Quads were born (yep, Bellingen Hospital).............that happened a long time before my children though.
While Bellingen is a beautiful place that has a wonderful community spirit, in summer I found the heat unbearable and unfortunately I left all of that beauty for the seaside type of life in Coffs many moons ago.
I don't visit Bellingen much now-a-days....I don't have much reason to be there but over Easter 2010, I went there to visit a couple of friends from way back. We had a wonderful lunch while there ....blow it, I didn't take my camera.....anyway. I have written a little review of the restaurant and suggest that if you go to Bellingen you pay this restaurant a visit. 'AVE' is the name to look for. Mind you I believe that another restaurant there has a one hat rating but I haven't eaten there yet.
No doubt you have heard that story about ....there once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead............when she was good, she was very very good, but when she was bad she was horrid - sad to say but this sums up Bellingen pretty much for me.
I was living in Bellingen many years ago when the river flooded. There was/is nothing unusual about that, it still does flood. The time that I am referring to though was called the hundred year flood. The water broke its banks in the caravan park and flooded a number of homes in North Bellingen. Mine was one of them.
So Bellingen is a peaceful, beautiful place that is mostly very, very good.
Areas like in this photo...........i.e. the flat areas on the approaches to Bellingen still regularly 'go under', but usually only for a few hours at a time.
Some time ago it was decided to lift the bridge between north and south Bellingen.............I thought, terrific........., but it (the bridge) is still below the flood level that destroyed my home.
- Pros:It is a really beautiful valley with a great community
- Cons:Far too hot in summer (for me that is)
- In a nutshell:A simply beautiful place to visit.
I haven't stayed here of course but I thought that someone might be interested in this opportunity. More information... more travel advice
the river when it was in flood. It used to flow so hard that the boat would have to start way upstream to land people... more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Bellingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE BELLINGEN JAZZ FESTIVAL happens every year"
- "BEAUTIFUL BELLINGEN"
- "small and peaceful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bellingen
- Hotels in Bellingen
- Transportation in Bellingen
- Restaurants in Bellingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bellingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bellingen
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Bellingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bellingen
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Sad News :("
- updated a Bellingen Travel Page "THE BELLINGEN JAZZ FESTIVAL happens every year"
- Wrote a Review Unbelievably great. in Bellingen Restaurants
- Commented on one of jeninparadise's Bellingen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE BELLINGEN JAZZ FESTIVAL happens every year"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues