Coffs Harbour Sports & Outdoors Tips by unravelau Top 5 Page for this destination
Coffs Harbour Sports & Outdoors: 12 reviews and 16 photos
One of the surf board riding teachers.
Surfing is one of the most popular activities in Coffs Harbour and it has a very active surf club and life saving facilities.
You would be advised to learn the how to's around the surf and always bathe between the flags on a patrolled beach.
Equipment: Of course you need swimming outfit, a towel, 30 plus bockout, shirt, hat, umbrella and you are just about ready. Knowing how to surf would be a handy skill to learn if you come from a country where the water doesn't wave (like some beaches in Italy). Learning how to recognise dumpers and rips might be handy.
If you go to a beach and discover that the flags are crossed....do not go in the water.
Address: Head for the coast.
Directions: There are so many beaches in the area that it is hard to recommend just one. If you are going to be here for a week or so, I would suggest giving all the beaches a visit.
Wall mosaic at the Olympic Pool.
Coffs Harbour pool is of Olympic Standard and schools for miles around all congregate for combined competitions here.
Something that I find really interesting are the mosaics that decorate the outside walls. Just amazing.
Equipment: They have all of the equipment that you would expect to find.
Address: Quite close to the centre of town
Directions: Eastern side of the highway just down from Coffs Harbour Bowling Club and the Dragon Inn.
No sooner caught than sent home to its mother
We have pretty strict regulations in Australia relative to the type and size of the fish that we may keep having caught them. The other morning and in the space of a minute I guess, this young man started reeling in his catch, agreed to allow me to photograph and with smooth movement brought his catch ashore, and immediately (seeing its size and type), flicked it back to grow a little more.
Equipment: He was fishing off the north wall of the Coffs Harbour Jetty area not far from where a few days before, a small aircraft lost part of its undercarriage on its approach to the airport. Landed that safely too, by the way.
Address: You will be able to fish anywhere around the jetty
Directions: This spot just a few metres east of the yacht club on the north wall of Coffs Harbour Jetty and marina area.
Theme: Fishing Trips
Netball the Saturday game for kids.
I don't know how you would go about getting a casual game when you come to Coffs Harbour.......I will find out, however it is quite a good sport to watch if you prefer. I would prefer to play but it would be too fast for me now -- my adult offspring say Tai chi is definitely my sport now LOL.
Directions: Western side of town.
Theme: Sports Watching
See, I can skate.
Ice Skating is fairly new for Coffs Harbour, but roller skating had been popular in the past.
Equipment: Can be equipped at the rink.
Address: At the big banana
Directions: North of Coffs about 2kms from town centre on the left hand side of the highway.
Ice skating etc., entry
The ice-skating rink is reasonably new to Coffs although when my family was young there was a roller skating rink here........... I now have the pleasure of watching the eldest three of my grand-daughters learn ice-skating helped by my daughter................ they just love it.
Equipment: All of the equipment is available there but if you are an observer, like me, I suggest a cardigan at least even in summer. It gets cold just watching.
Address: Off the Pacific Highway North of Coffs Harbour
Directions: Put on left indicator when you reach the big banana, on the highway 2 kms north of the city centre.
Under sail playgrounds
Children's playgrounds here are not much different to those in Italy I discovered. Some of ours offer a little bit of protection from the sun now-a-days, in the form of sails.
Equipment: You either need a child to enjoy this or a childlike nature.................whatever, give it a go.
Address: This one at Jetty Foreshores, but there are many
Directions: Turn right off highway going north, follow High St., to Jetty shops, drive over railway and turn right.
Pelicans waiting for their feed.
I don't go fishing myself but Coffs Harbour in the past may have been called a fishing village. Now that it is a city though, fishing is still something that happens a lot here. Many fish from the shore, either ocean or river, some go to sea and yet others choose to fish from the rocks or while diving. Many varieties of fish are caught here and there is quite a traffic in deep sea tuna (big business). There is a fishing club and a co-operative. I personally like the pelicans technique myself.............they wait until the fishing boats are returning and they settle alongside and wait patiently.
Equipment: Not being a fisherperson means that I am not up on what kind of equipment that you might bring with you when you come. I would think that it very much depends upon the type of fishing you hope to do and the kinds of fish you would like to catch. Having said all of that unhelpful stuff, I am sure that you would be able to get, buy or hire whatever you required while you are here.
Address: All along the Eastern Coast of Australia
Directions: Coffs Harbour is an hour by plane from Sydney, 6 hours by car, somewhat longer by bus and 9 hours by train.
Theme: Fishing Trips
Coffs Harbour Marina
One family member has a catamaran and just loves being on the water. There's a general interest in water sports in Coffs Harbour and of course there is the annual Sydney to Coffs race that runs near the Sydney to Hobart time.
Directions: Coffs Harbour Yacht club has access to the Jetty Foreshores to launch and retrieve boats.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Places where you can entertain...
- See All Go down a gold mine if you're game
- See All While away your afternoon in the Tavern
- See All Terrific Chinese Take Away Tucker
- See All Winter Solstice for anyone?
- See All Clubbing is big in Coffs
- Accessibility - Coffs Harbour boasts of...
- Bring your own bananas
- See All A great Get away
- Don't get nipped by a duck
- See All Cinema Centre and Fruit and Vegetable...
Been to Coffs Harbour?Share your travels with the world!
unravelau's Related Pages
Coffs Harbour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hansi came, saw and conquered."
- "Coffs Harbour - halfway town"
- "COFFS HARBOUR"
- "My First VT Meeting"
- "Coffs Harbour On The Beautiful North Coast of NSW"
- "GOING BANANAS IN COFFS HARBOUR"
- "Major coastal resort town."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coffs Harbour
- Hotels in Coffs Harbour
- Transportation in Coffs Harbour
- Nightlife in Coffs Harbour
- Restaurants in Coffs Harbour
- Shopping in Coffs Harbour
- Warnings and Dangers in Coffs Harbour
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coffs Harbour
- 72 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 156 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Coffs Harbour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coffs Harbour
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Could there be anyone better? I..."
- updated a Coffs Harbour Travel Page "Hansi came, saw and conquered."
- Wrote a Review Places where you can entertain grandchildren in Coffs Harbour Favorites
- Commented on one of balhannah's Coffs Harbour travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT get to-gethers, postcards no. 4."
Photos in Coffs HarbourSee All Photos (136)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues