"It's only an hour away from home" Top 5 Page for this destination Grafton by unravelau
Grafton Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 335 photos
Grafton is only an hour or so North of Coffs Harbour on the Pacific Highway and it is famous for its avenues of beautiful Jacarandah trees. I have always loved the Jacarandah and even planted one in my garden 20 odd years ago. The new owners must like it because it is still growing steadily and is one of the larger trees in the street. How beautiful.
While researching this beautiful place I discovered some information that I hadn't been aware of.
- The floral festival (for Jacarandas) is the oldest in Australia having first started in 1943. The festival is held during October and November every year.
- In a neighbouring Susan Island rain forest there lives the largest flying fox colony in the southern hemisphere.
- WINSTON CHURCHILL has links to Grafton in a most unusual way. Just upstream of the Clarence River on the Southern side of the bridge you will find the rusty remains of an old ferry........must get a photo. It, (the ferry called the SS Induna) had an early life in Africa and to quote the Great Australian Gazeteer of 2003, ".........earlier life in Africa weekly steamer that
played a part in the escape of a young war correspondent - in 1899 Winston Chrchill escaped
from a prison in Pretoria and rode the Induna to safety in Durban ......"
So GRAFTON is not just a pretty face.....er sorry.... place.
More information on this interesting and old township may be found by copying this link.............
- Pros:Grafton is famous for its Jacarandas
- Cons:It is far too hot and too far from the sea in summer.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here
Eating out doors is just wonderful in my opinion. We ate at this hotel on the northern side of the Clarence just a bit... more travel advice
I wouldn't recommend breaking the law to end up here. It doesn't look like a very friendly place at all. more travel advice
unravelau's Related Pages
Grafton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE STUNNING JACARANDA FESTIVAL"
- "Grafton ...the Jacaranda city"
- "It's only an hour away from home"
- "And, on your left, Grafton"
- "Bicycle Touring Australia - Grafton"
- "Pretty town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grafton
- Hotels in Grafton
- Transportation in Grafton
- Nightlife in Grafton
- Restaurants in Grafton
- Shopping in Grafton
- Warnings and Dangers in Grafton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grafton
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Grafton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grafton
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I miss Dumpymotel"
- Commented on one of Intrepidduck's Grafton travel pages
- updated a Grafton Travel Page "It's only an hour away from home"
- Wrote a Review Love the open air bistros in Grafton Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very few people will be able to visit here"
Photos in GraftonSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 72 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 56 reviews, 86 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lazio Intro, 44 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 38 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Formia Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues