"SECOND PORT OF CALL" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Macquarie by unravelau

Port Macquarie Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 455 photos

Port Macquaire - Another sunny stopover

Originally when I set off from home (Coffs Harbour) I was thinking to travel to Sydney to visit the rels for a few days. Well as I approached Nambucca Heads I thought........I will just pop in for a quick visit here and a look around. Well, I spent so much time looking around that it was heading for dark so I thought....ok, I had better stay the night. I did. A similar thing happened the next day when I finally got on the road again.

I was driving into Port Macquarie, silently calculating how many years that it had been since I had been there, when I came to a detour sign........There was a lot of traffic and I didn't recognize any landmarks so just followed the leader and out back onto the main road to Port Mac proper. It wasn't until I was again ensconced in a nice motel (later on) that I caught the news for the detour. A man had had an accident and wrapped himself around a pole or tree while travelling at high speed. He had killed himself unfortunately and so I had just chosen the short time after the accident to head into Port.

I was amazed at how Port Macquarie had grown...well after all it had been many, many years since my last visit. I just stuck to the main road and did a quick trip around marvelling at the numerous apartment buildings on the seaside and the various signs to other shopping centres.. It was quite a shock to the system, so out the other end I thought, 'where to now?'. Next I found myself on the way to Wauchope.....pronounced warhope...thinking about Timber Town another place that I haven't been for many years.

What magnificent views there are to be had here

Looking south from the headland. Behind me can be seen the front row of high rise apartments to accommodate the thousands of visitors that Port Macquarie must have on a daily basis. I was really surprised to see how huge the place is now compared to when I last visited.

• Pros:Thriving metropolis, all conveniences for great holidays.
  • Cons:Thriving metropolis, very busy traffic wise....
  • In a nutshell:Despite its busy ness Port Macquarie still provides peace and quiet too.
  • Last visit to Port Macquarie: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 8, 2006

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM

"The lake"??? Must be an addition since I was there! Nice tips, interesting (if sad) story. Thanks for sharing

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Like you, Carole, it's some years since we visited - a great spot though! I think much of the growth is from "seachangers".

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Hi Carole, You are so lucky living on the North Coast of NSW, I think it is better than Queensland. I grew up in Sydney, left when I was 27, and was 58 when I first visited the North Coast, Both Coofs and Port M bring back fabulous memories.

• Nov 23, 2006 at 4:08 PM

Great service (manager is such a charmer!!) & value, Cedro the best find of our trip. Yummy breakfasts; fresh veg stack, smkd salmon scramble & cute soft boiled eggs in knitted caps. Gorgeous lunches too. Can't wait to try their dinner menu on next trip.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM

yep, a beauty spot, could put up my feet here too.

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Badges & Stats in Port Macquarie

Have you been to Port Macquarie?

Latest Activity in Port Macquarie